Correction to previous question

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

former173rd
Beginner

Correction to previous question

Post by former173rd »

Hello to all,
Earlier I posted a question concerning a 1893 carbine which was wrongfully ID as a 30-06........it should have been 30-30. I am trying to find out if this is a one of 63 that Ive heard about.
I have contacted the Cody museum and the SN falls outside of their reference numbers.
ANY help would be appreciated.
former173rd
Beginner

Re: Correction to previous question

Post by former173rd »

Should read "one of 61" not One of 63
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Former173rd;

As you have discovered, a gun with a serial number in the 440.000 range cannot be confirmed by factory records as the records end in December of 1906. Your gun, with a serial number in the range given would have been manufactured in the 1913/1914 era. Since it is in the range of guns made after 1906, we have no way of knowing how many of any model or knowing what configurations were made during this time frame.
As to whether this is one of 61 is another matter. If this is a short barrel carbine, under 15 inches, then it needs to be cleared by the BATF&E to own legally. The BATF&E keeps a record of all short barrel guns that have been cleared and you may want to check to see if this one is on the list. Sometimes, if this gun has not been cleared, but falls into a range of other guns that have been cleared, this gun would probably be cleared if it is determined by the BATF&E that it is the original configuration as it left the factory and not cut down. To be cleared, the gun must be submitted to the BATF&E for examination. If they determine it is original, then they return the gun. If they determine it is not original, then they unscrew the barrel and return the remains.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
former173rd
Beginner

Post by former173rd »

Thanks for the reply,
Do you know how I would submit it, or who to contact for the procedure? I've tried calling the ATF office in DC but get no response.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Former173rd;

I would check the BATF&E list of approved short barrel guns first. It might have a serial number in the range of other approved guns which makes it easier to get the approval.
You should be able to GOOGLE it or go to the BATF&E website to find it. In the past, they have set up at the Tulsa Gun Show and the Kansas City Gun Show to provide information for inquiring minds. Most large cities have offices as well.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
former173rd
Beginner

Post by former173rd »

Thank you. I'll continue to search for the appropriate office to send it. Appreciate your time!