Marlin 93

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Nickp1284
Beginner

Marlin 93

Post by Nickp1284 »

Hello, my name is Nick and I am looking for some assistance in trying to narrow down the date of a Marlin 93. It currently belongs to my father and he has asked me to restore it for him, I am a gunsmith and that is what I do. This firearm belonged to my great, great grand pappy before making it to my father. Anyway, like I said it is a Model 93, it is clearly stamped on the receiver at the stock and the serial number is 1287. If anyone could point me in the right direction for narrowing down the production date that would be great, this way when I return it to my father all restored I can give him some history with it as well. Thank you
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 93

Post by marlinman93 »

It depends on where this serial number is located and also what the rollstamp on the barrel states. It will be 1921 or later, but can't narrow it down further without the rest of the info.
Be aware that a proper restoration of a Model 93 Marlin will require the receiver, lever, hammer and forearm cap to all be case colored, not blued. Also the barrel, and mag tube should be rust blued, not hot blued. Anything else will make the restoration not correct and devalue the rifle.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!