'Marlin' website....?

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

FatCat
Beginner

'Marlin' website....?

Post by FatCat »

I'm looking for a Marlin 512 slug gun, and I came across this website: 'stockmarlinarms', with a gun I'm interested in. It is using the Marlin logo, looks official. However, when I asked more questions about the gun, all the information I got was the same info as on the listing....no more info about the condition at all. When I asked about payment, my answer was they only accept VENMO and BitCoin. No credit cards, no checks, etc.. Sounds fishy to me.

Any one have any dealings with this site? Is it legit?

Thanks,
Ron
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 'Marlin' website....?

Post by marlinman93 »

Never buy from ANY website that doesn't accept credit card payment. All of them are scams, and the scam doesn't work if you can dispute the charge.
I recently ran low on my favorite gun powder and trying to purchase it I found dozens of fake sites setup to look extremely legitimate, but when I got to the payment portion of checkout none would take credit cards. Red flag, so I backed away.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
FatCat
Beginner

Post by FatCat »

Thanks for the reply, Marlinman93....it seemed hokey to me, I believe even the picture of the gun was taken from another website. But I thought I'd ask around.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The rep at Hodgdon Powders told me these scammers copy their web site, and all the images, and then setup their own exact copy of the web site. FBI and most major companies are trying hard to shut them down, but they simply open up another site with the same exact things they had before. He's the one who toold me to avoid any site that doesn't accept your credit card, as legitimate sites all do.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

FatCat;

The simple fact that the location, street address or post office box of the business is not on the site is pretty much a dead give-a-way. By using the methods of payment suggested, they avoid postal mail fraud charges. That gets the Feds involved and they do not want that!
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.