39 with blued receiver

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tennesseetom
Beginner

39 with blued receiver

Post by tennesseetom »

A couple of years ago, I picked up an “S” prefix model 39 that’s in really nice condition. Just a few light handling marks on the wood and better than 90% on the bluing. What I’m wondering about is whether Marlin ever made these with a blued receiver. I can usually spot even a really good re-blue, and if this one is, it’s the best job I’ve ever seen. The color and finish look factory, all the lettering is crisp; there’s just nothing about it that says re-blue… except for the fact that I can find any info on Marlin making a blued receiver on these.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 39 with blued receiver

Post by marlinman93 »

If this were a different model that was made prior to WWI I'd say it's definitely possible. But after WWI Marlin just didn't do custom work like this, so likely it's a very good bluing job, or restoration. I try not to say "never" as it can bite me in the rear. But the odds are it isn't factory done in a blued receiver.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

TennesseeTom;

About the only possibility of being original is that a Marlin employee had it finished for himself and wanted a blued gun instead of a case-colored one. You would need to compare the blued finish on your gun compared to other blued guns of that era. (mostly shotguns at that time had blued finishes on the receiver)
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
tennesseetom
Beginner

Post by tennesseetom »

Thanks guys, that confirms what I suspected. Sure wish I knew who did that bluing though. They’d definitely get my business!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

There are a few gunsmiths who can do bluing as good and as close to factory as I've seen. I've used Al Springer in Montana for years to do color case and rust bluing. Al's company is Smokey Mountain Blue Restorations, and he's not only a great guy, but very good craftsman, and reasonably priced.

https://www.smbgunrestorations.com/
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
tennesseetom
Beginner

Post by tennesseetom »

Great, thanks for the info! I have a ‘92 I’m redoing the wood on, and I’ve been considering a reblue for that, but hadn’t pulled the trigger on it because I didn’t know of anyone who does case colors outside of the high end guys like Turnbull.