93 Marlin, maybe

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gunslinger
Beginner

93 Marlin, maybe

Post by Gunslinger »

Gents need some help identifying this firearm, I thought I was buying a nice Marlin 93 but may have gotten a parts gun instead.
Description:
Barrel is marked "Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven CT" Last patent date is 1893, Special Smokeless Steel 32 HPS on the barrel between the rear sight and receiver. 20 inches long. It is a carbine.
Serial Number: Bottom of the receiver near the fore end. Serial number D5355
Receiver: has matching Serial number without the D. "Marlin" in script on Tang with "Model 93" under it
Lever: Lever is straight and square like other 93s I have, there is a notch cut in the bottom of the receiver where the follower drops out, this notch is about 1/2 inch behind the screw that holds the bottom plate to the reciever. I've seen this on the 1936 model as well indicating that this rifle has the newer follower installed with the longer tang.
Stock is an S type with carbine butt plate, there is no bullseye or any evidence that there ever was. The stock serial number dies not match the receiver s/n. It looks like the stock number is 111825 which would make it an 1893 peice of wood.
Like to know your thoughts,
Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 93 Marlin, maybe

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gunslinger;

With the "D" serial number up near the forearm indicates your Marlin Model '93 would have been made in the 1919/1920 era. Most of those guns made between 1916 and 1920 were made up from parts on hand from the old Marlin Firearms Company that sold out to Marlin Arms or Marlin-Rockwell in 1916.
Other than the mis-matched butt stock, I see nothing all that unusual for a gun from that era. The Marlin Trademark Bullseye did not come out until about 1922 under the new Marlin Firearms Corporation.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Gunslinger
Beginner

Re: 93 Marlin, maybe

Post by Gunslinger »

Thanks Regnier
That makes me feel better about my purchase. Can you or one of the other experts perhaps make a SWAG as to what the market devaluation might be for the mis-matched stock? I' guessing that there would be a devaluation, perhaps not.
Much appreciated
Gun