Marlin Lever Action Rifle (identify)

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

bigguylb
Beginner

Marlin Lever Action Rifle (identify)

Post by bigguylb »

Hello. I've been reading posts on this sight trying to identify a Marlin rifle I recently inherited. Think I'm narrowing it down but I'd appreciate any assistance, comments, etc. on the gun.

The only markings I see are "Marlin Fire Arms Co. New Haven, CT. U.S.A. Pat'd Nov. 19, 1878. April 2, 1889. Aug 12, 1890. March 1, 1892." and "Marlin Safety" on the octagon barrel. I haven't measured barrel yet, need to get a dowel long enough.

Serial #1028xx, which according to another sight, was manufactured approx. in 1894. Seems to be an earlier mfg. date.

Tube feed, lever action, crescent butt plate, and seems to be a "take down" model as there is a "thumb screw" on right side of receiver which removes rt. plate.

Other guns I've seen in forums or auctions had a model # and caliber stamped on barrel or tang. This gun has no markings. From what I've read, guns manufactured from 1891 to 1894 didn't have markings so the 1894 mfg. date seems correct. But which model? 1891? Also, how to determine caliber?

I've taken pics but cannot post them. If someone could take a peek and enlighten me as to what this is exactly, I can email them to you.

I hate to be lengthy but there's more. I noticed a Lyman sight on another gun (Winchester mdl. 63 .22 semi, circa 1939) that didn't seem to fit. Is this sight for the Marlin? Has "S L" on the back of mount and I believe is a 1 or 1/A model sight. ?

I appreciate any info or input and if you want to take a look, send me your email address for pics.
Bigguylb
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bigguylb;

From the serial number given, you have a .32 Colt caliber Marlin Model 1891. I looked at the records, and the entire range of 102,800 guns are Model 1891's in .32 Colt caliber.
The Model 1891 is not a takedown action, but the thumbscrew does allow the side plate to be removed for access to the action works and allow for better cleaning of the bore with the breech bolt removed.
The correct Lyman tang sight for your rifle will have the letter "B" stamped on the bottom. The Code for the "SL" sight indicates that sight is for the Wichester self-loader guns, Models 1905, 1907 and 1910, either 1 or 1A.
I hope this helps.
bigguylb
Beginner

Marlin Lever Action Rifle (more info if possible?))

Post by bigguylb »

Thanks for the quick reply Regnier, your info was very helpful.

Now that I know which model it is, Marlin Model 1891/.32 Colt caliber, where can I find books, manuals, etc. to learn more about it? I'm rather new to guns, especially old ones, but would like to become more knowledgeable and possibly shoot it someday.

And risking being a pain the ass, I have more questions. Is this a rim or center fire? Black powder, light loads, smokeless? I found both types (rim/ctr fire) with the guns. 3 boxes of Western .32 short rim fires, and some loose W.R.A. Co, .32 S.&W.L. center fires. Could either of these be correct? There are two other .32's in collection they might belong to. ???

How common or rare is this model, caliber, year? Approximate value if in good condition and original? Is it something to shoot if checks o.k. or more a collector?

Any additional info would be appreciated.

I can send pics if anyone's interested, send email address.

Thanks again, Bigguylb
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The .32 S&W cartridges aren't for the Marlin! The .32 rimfires are for it, as this model shot both centerfire and rimfire .32's. The common name for this cartridge was .32 Long, or .32 Colt. .32 Shorts, in CF or RF can be used, but you need both firing pins to shoot both cartridges. You'll need to check the bolt to see which firing pin is in it. If the firing pin is centered in the bolt it's centerfire, if it's at one edge it's rimfire.
If it's rimfire, you should get a centerfire pin from Wisners Gun Parts, as rimfire ammo is obsolete, and when it's found, very expensive!
Centerfire .32 Long or .32 short or long Colt, is not easy to find either, but it can be found. Most people who shoot these old Marlins much will reload for them, as that's the only sure source of plentiful ammo.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
bigguylb
Beginner

Post by bigguylb »

Thanks marlinman93, your info on the Western rim fires for the gun was right on the money. I looked at firing pin and it is rim fire (pin @ 12:00). Also, I went to Wisners Gun Parts and the replacement FP's only $20.00. Definitely change it over after someone inspects gun's firing condition.

Approximate value of this gun if it were in fine condition? Anyone? From what I'm seeing out there, seems to be in the $1,000.00 range. ? Not a very "in demand" model, but somewhat valuable in better conditions? I'd rather keep it and shoot it if that were the case.

Thanks again for the help,

Bigguylb
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Value on these is clearly on condition. AT a minimum we would need to see digital photos, best would be a hands on inspection. Price will also very from one part of the U.S. to another. One way to get an idea is to go to the auction sites, such as gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com or others and look at recently closed auctions for your model. Most auctions have photos so you can compare yours and a broader audience to see what they actually sold for.
GBOT, GBUSA
bigguylb
Beginner

Post by bigguylb »

Thanks Sure-Shot, I will check the completed auctions and compare mine to similiars.

How would I post pics? Don't have a website url?

Bigguylb