Serial Numbers for 39A

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Serial Numbers for 39A

Post by Brent »

MarlinEric123 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:09 pm Thank you for the info...just found out my 39A is from 1951. Was my father's....he was an avid and successful hunter.
Then I believe your serial number should start with the letter "H". I have one of these and consider them to be of the finest vintage.
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

I have an older model 39A with a strange v shaped flip up rear sight.
It looks like a poorly stamped serial number, starting with the letter "C" and about 4 or 5 digits.
Thing is that the Barrel is marked as "39" not 39A, was this normal?

Thanks first time poster on this forum, Dennis
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dennis;

A Marlin Model 39-A with a "C" serial number prefix would have been made in 1946. The rear sight sounds like a cheap, later replacement.
Is the barrel round as it should be on a Model 39-A? Could it be that the stamping is on the "light" side, and the "A" is just not visible? Maybe some photos would help.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Okay, let me see what I can come up with soon.

Thanks, Dennis
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:01 pm Could it be that the stamping is on the "light" side, and the "A" is just not visible? Maybe some photos would help.
It looks like I see a little "Dash" but they forgot the "A" :lol:

I have pictures, but I'm too new I don't have the ability to post pics yet.

I will try a work around.

try this link:

https://thebugfather.smugmug.com/Marlin-39/n-MRZ4f9

Thanks for the help, Dennis
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The pictures help a lot! I see the barrel is marked "Model 39-" which leads me to believe the stamp didn't get fully rolled on the barrel. Since if it was a Model 39 it would not have "39-" on it. the "39-" shows there should be an "A after the dash mark, but it never got stamped. Your gun is indeed a 39-A, but with a bad rollstamp.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Thanks!

Am I reading the serial number right?
Is the rear sight something from Marlin?

Front sight?

Thanks, Dennis
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Dennis;

The rear sight is a Lyman #6 Folding Sight. Your Marlin Model 39-A has been drilled and tapped for a scope aftermarket, and the original rear sight was removed to drill the barrel for one of the scope mounts. With the Lyman rear sight, the scope could be removed and then the rifle used with the iron sights. The front sight is the original sight, complete with the original sight hood, which is usually missing from older Marlin rifles.

dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Thanks again for the info!

The top of the receiver is only drilled in the forward position with two holes, I assume for a scope mount, I assume those are original.

Others marlins I have have another hole or two also close to the hammer side (back) of the receiver, but mine doesn't have any holes in the back.

I'm looking for a temp scope mount to use only for ammo testing, Can someone recommend a scope mount that will work? The front two holes on the barrel I assume is a custom job. So I only have the two little holes to work with on the receiver.

I will use a Redfield peep sight for Lever Action Silhouette and a Lyman 17a type front sight.

Thanks Dennis

I sure wish the admin would let me post pictures directly, in addition to this Marlin, I have a 1897 from around 1897 (might be called a 1894?) old rifle relined, but had to replace the bolt because someone cracked it with high speed ammo, work in progress that is why I'm fuzzy on the model., 4 other 39a, 2 - 57's and 2 - 57M's. I have questions, but hard to ask without someone seeing what I'm talking about.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Dennis;

Marlin did not drill and tap the top of the receiver until 1956. The scope mount holes in both the barrel and receiver on your rifle are aftermarket.
There are instructions to post pictures in the very first post in the section labeled "No Longer Guest Questions".
A Model 1897 is a Model 1897, not a Model 1894. The Model 1894 was chambered for pistol cartridges whereas the Model 1897 is a .22 caliber rifle only.

dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:08 pm Dennis;

Marlin did not drill and tap the top of the receiver until 1956. The scope mount holes in both the barrel and receiver on your rifle are aftermarket.
There are instructions to post pictures in the very first post in the section labeled "No Longer Guest Questions".
A Model 1897 is a Model 1897, not a Model 1894. The Model 1894 was chambered for pistol cartridges whereas the Model 1897 is a .22 caliber rifle only.
Thanks for clarifying this, I will get my facts straight when I have the rifle back in my hands again.

I can't post pictures yet, because the "attachment" function is not activated on my account, I think it is because I'm so new of a member. I am a member of several other sites, like "steelchickens.com", that I'm familiar with attaching pictures and the like. I assume that is what is happening to me here.

Thanks, Dennis
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Dennis;

I checked your status and you can attach photos to your posts. Check your size and there is a limitation on size allowed.

dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:10 pm Dennis;

I checked your status and you can attach photos to your posts. Check your size and there is a limitation on size allowed.
Thanks, I'm trying, but maybe I'm doing it wrong. On other sites it shows a second tab at the bottom of the new post that is labeled "ATTACHMENTS"
I don't have the second tab, maybe is doesn't work the same on this forum as others.

Thanks for the help, Dennis O.
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:10 pm Dennis;

I'm sorry, I now understand that this forum doesn't support direct uploading of pictures, but only by linking to an external source like photo bucket.

Please delete all my posts regarding uploading photos.

Sorry for the confusion, thanks Dennis
Biddy1711
Beginner

Post by Biddy1711 »

Hi! New member here..Im wandering if someone could help me date my 39a..I keep coming up empty with nailing down a date on it.. It is a model 39a. (Not golden and not microgroove) It also has a case hardened reciever.. The serial # is four digits with no letter prefix...the serial# is 27**...any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!!!