336SC Questions

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

hanleyjj
Beginner

336SC Questions

Post by hanleyjj »

I just inherited a 336SC in .35 cal and the serial number begins with "H". Does the "H" signify 1950 mfg date? What is the SC? It has a scope and I would like to buy the old iron sights. Where is the best place to buy these? I also wanted to add a hammer spur/extension. Both models at Gander Mountain did not fit. The later model was too big and the early model too small. Is there a third size?
Thanks,
Jim
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

The 'SC' stands for sporting carbine. 'H' does indicate 1950 manufacture. As for a scope, these were not D&T for them from the factory.

For different models of receiver sights and 'buckhorn' sights, see also http://www.brownells.com - of the styles they offer, I prefer the Lyman 66. Parts vendors at gunshows will have them, too. The current folding rear sight is not correct for this vintage 336.

The hammer on these was not undercut for an extension, but I have an old Williams that is marked 36 39. I tried it on the hammer of my 1951 336RC & it fit fine. You will need to look in parts boxes at gunshows for this one, I believe. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!