Help Upgrading A Model Golden 39A

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

The Wizard
Beginner

Help Upgrading A Model Golden 39A

Post by The Wizard »

I have a well used but not abused Marlin Modle Golden 39A that I purchase new in 1962. I can not even begin to guess at the miles I carried it slung over my shoulder, stuff in a scabbard hanging from a saddle or bounced around in various 4WD vehicles. It is now time to past in on to my grandson. (His dad choose a Ruger 10/22 over the Marlin for his first .22. Kids, sometimes you wonder about them!) Anyway, before I give it to my grandson I would like to upgrade it a little. I would like to replace the round barrel with an octagonal barrel used on the Model 39A Article II/Model 39A Octagon, finish the receiver, lever and hammer color case and replace the buttstock with one having a cresent buttplate ( my attempt at checking at 15 leaves MUCH to be desired. Which always reminds me of my Dad's advice "There is no substitute for knowing what you are doing and having the proper tools to do it!").

The color case I will have done by Doug Turnbull but I need help with finding an octagon barrel and the buttstock. Can anyone out there help?
The Wizard
moodyholler
Beginner

Post by moodyholler »

Tree Bone woodcarving in Arizona has a nice crescent buttstock available for 39a's. They have a website. I have bought 7 stocks from them and they have been great! moodyholler
Hopkins and Allen falling blocks parts and guns wanted.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

I believe the factory has new oct barrels and will install same for a modest fee. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
The Wizard
Beginner

Post by The Wizard »

The first thing I did was contact the Marlin factory to see if they had any octagon barrels and forearms and forearm tips left over from the production of the Article II/Octagon series 39A's. When it comes to helping they are as useful as mammary glands on a male pig. They say you can find almost anything through the web. I have yet to find that to be the case. After five year I am still looking for a set of dash board indicator lights for my '74 CJ-5. Please excuse my rantings. I guess I just want it all.
The Wizard
bgl0b6
Beginner

Post by bgl0b6 »

I think I saw some half octagon/half round barrels at gun parts corp. web sight,leftovers from the wildlife forever run,cant remember how much though.Check there.......Mike
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

Marlin parts are always tough. Don't ask for the article II and old barrels like that though, you will have a better chance finding one of the barrels from the Cowboy 1897 or the Texan 1897, although they will have the warning on the barrel. This might sound crazy, but you might also consider buying an octagon 39A from the early 1970's and swaping the barrel and foreend with your gun, then selling off the 1970's gun with your round barrel put in it to make up for some of the cost. Bad news is that early 1970's 39A octagon will run you about $500 or so if it is decent. You could also do the same thing by buying a 1897 cowboy of recent manufacture. That might be the easiest/fastest way to get your project done. Turnbull is high on wood work, but Fred Wenig formerly of Fajen stocks does top of the line work for much less. In fact he did the wood on several of Marlin's "1 millionth, 2 millionth, ect" type guns and some one of a kind guns they had commissioned as well. You can have the metal done first and then have Wenig do the wood, or maybe vice versa. I had Fred do a 1895 stock and it is outstanding!