How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Cea
Beginner

Re: How-To Determine Year of Manufacture- Marlin

Post by Cea »

And thus the conundrum... I've never owned another 22 rifle and I clearly remember well using the rifle while spotlighting rabbits with friends long before I got married in 1978.
Other than time traveling I can't explain it.
I'm wracking my brain for an explanation and the only thing I can think of is that someone traded rifles with me without me knowing it. Still the later serial number and the early barrel ring don't make any sense.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Since the date determines what buffer you need, I'd simply order one based on the date you recall, or order the smaller buffer and if it's too small simply open up the hole with a drill bit.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
shawnpmay
Beginner

Post by shawnpmay »

I have a Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle that has 36-A serial number is 4 digits that starts at 6###. Marlins website said it was manufactured in 1884 but everything I read said that caliber didn't even come out until 1894..how can this be? Any help would be greatly appreciated
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

shawnpmay wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:07 am I have a Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle that has 36-A serial number is 4 digits that starts at 6###. Marlins website said it was manufactured in 1884 but everything I read said that caliber didn't even come out until 1894..how can this be? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Yours is a pretty easy one to determine, but I think you left off a prefix letter to the serial number, which is the most important part for a 36A to determine the year. But all 36A's were built between 1946-1947, so yours is one of those years.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!