Wanted: Info on Antique Marlin Revolver..........

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

vermontlad
Beginner

Wanted: Info on Antique Marlin Revolver..........

Post by vermontlad »

I have a Marlin 1873 xx standard 7 shot .22 cal. single action revolver. When you cock the hammer, the cylinder will not index (rotate) and lock to align the cylinder to be fired. Basically the cylinder is "free wheeling". Does anyone know where I might find a parts explosion of that revolver for me to identify the part that is either broken or missing ? Thanks in advance for any help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Wanted: Info on Antique Marlin Revolver..........

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Vermontlad;

About the only "part diagram" of the XX Standard revolver of 1873 that I know of would be the photo of a disassembled revolver on page 111 of the Brophy Marlin book.
Since the cylinder does not rotate when you cock the hammer, the hand spring apparently is broken or missing. The hand is attached to the hammer and when it is cocked, the hand raises and rotates the cylinder. The spring is attached to the hammer arbor and presses against the hand. And, since the cylinder does not lock in place, the stop bolt is not operating properly either. There is a spring on the stop bolt that could be broken and not allowing the stop bolt to raise into position and lock the cylinder in place.
Now the bad news, replacement parts will be almost impossible to find. If it is a spring problem only, then they can be made, but you would need a pattern for the hand spring. The stop bolt spring is a short, flat spring attached to the stop bolt.
Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
vermontlad
Beginner

Re: Wanted: Info on Antique Marlin Revolver..........

Post by vermontlad »

Thanks "Gunrunner".