Model 48 Marin Pump Shotgun

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mingram63
Beginner

Model 48 Marin Pump Shotgun

Post by Mingram63 »

Apologies if this question has been asked/answered previously. I researched the board but was unable to come up with something resembling my inquiry. I know it is frustrating to a group when someone new askes question that have been previously answered- perhaps a number of times. If I missed a similar post, apologies.

I have recently reacquired a Marlin 12G pump SG that was my great grandads. Grew up with the gun, thought it was lost, but I recently found it. I am interested in understanding its history.

It is a Model 48. It has what I assume to be some sort of serial number on it- 8825

I have tied the typical google search but came up emptyhanded.

I am sure someone will ask for pictures- I have taken it to a antique firearm dealer for a cleaning and inspection. Other than a needed repair to make the SG safe, no restoration work will be done. If pics are required I can post once I get it back

In advance, Thank you
Mingram63
Beginner

Re: Model 48 Marin Pump Shotgun

Post by Mingram63 »

I found a pic...

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mingram63;

One reason why you cannot find anything about a Marlin Model 48 shotgun is that Marlin did not make a Model 48. What you have is a Marlin Model 43, hammerless pump action, 12 gauge shotgun. If you look closely, you will see that what you thought is an "8" is actually a "3" that is stamped deeply and looks like an "8".
The Marlin Model 43 was made from 1922 to 1930. It is a takedown action made in 3 different grades. There is the "43A" grade or standard grade shotgun, the "43T" or Trap Grade and the "43TS" or Trap Special grade. Mark Arie used a Model 43 to set a new world record of 528 successive targets in 1925, for a new long run of targets.
In 1922, the Model 43A sold for $45.00 and at the end of the production run in 1930, the Model 43A sold for $49.80. The Model 43A was also a Marlin Stock Option gun whereas someone that purchased 4 shares of Marlin Company Stock for $25.00 each was offered the option of one of several different guns for free.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Mingram63
Beginner

Post by Mingram63 »

Thank you so much... I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Obviously you are correct, upon closer inspection it is a 43. TY again.