New member here - mod 1893 special order questions

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Buff Daddy
Beginner

New member here - mod 1893 special order questions

Post by Buff Daddy »

Greetings all. This is my first post and I am trying to learn more about this mod 1893 passed down by my father.
I've done a fair amount of on-line research before joining this site, and much of what I learned led me here. Many of you obviously have a lot of knowledge on these old beauties.

If I am correct this was a special order rifle … and believe the following to be applicable:
1893 Take down model
man date 1907 by SN ?
measured as 21 inch barrel
unusual (rare?) Lyman rear sight option (mounted to left side)
pistol grip type stock - highly figured
part oct / round barrel
2/3 magazine
32-40 cal
Blue is in great shape - believe to be original

I am hoping to learn more about her (seems all my weapons are female:) such as:
Is this truly a rare Marlin 1893, or not so much?
Estimated value?

Thanks to all in advance....I've been reading up on the process (Road King thread) and will be attempting to add pics momentarily.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: New member here - mod 1893 special order questions

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Buff Daddy;

Without being able to look up the serial number in the existing records, there is no way of knowing if this is factory original with a 21 inch, half octagon barrel. Sounds like an odd length. Did you measure the barrel out of the receiver?
The Lyman sight is the Number 21 Receiver Sight, sometimes called the "climbin' Lyman". These were offered in the Marlin catalogs and are quite desirable to collectors.
We will have to wait for pictures to determine anything else.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Buff Daddy
Beginner

Post by Buff Daddy »

Thanks for the response gunrunner. Looks like the barrel might actually be around 22". I've been looking at quite a few Marlin 1893's online and haven't seen one yet with that particular Lyman sight...so great intel on that.

Would the full/unredacted SN of this rifle work to consult existing records, or do those records not exist?

I just finished creating a photobucket account and have 20 cropped / downsized pics ready to post, including a pic of barrel length against tape measure once I get this figured out on how to get these onto the forum (per Road Kings instruction). Do you know if I need an [img] code from a moderator at this forum? Nothing of that sort is showing up on photobucket yet.

Thx again.
Buff Daddy
Beginner

Post by Buff Daddy »

Buff Daddy
Beginner

Post by Buff Daddy »

Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Buff Daddy if you can't figure out how to post photos send them to me and I can post for you.

bwatson0568@rogers.com
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Buff Daddy;

Unfortunately, the serial number is too high for existing records, so there is no way to confirm the original configuration. But, Marlin did make some Model 1893's ( and other models ) with 22 inch barrels, so it may be original.
The checking on the wood is Grade B checking. The takedown cam is the flush style, which is not often seen on takedown rifles. The butt pad may be original also. Marlin did offer butt pads of that style, used mostly on the shotguns, but I have seen other rifles with that style butt pad.
Overall, that is a very nice deluxe Model 1893. Your father left you a great family piece to be proud of. Congratulations!

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Ditto what Regnier said! What a wonderful 1893 Marlin to keep in the family!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Buff Daddy
Beginner

Post by Buff Daddy »

@Road King - thanks for the generous offer to post them for me, but as you see I did manage through it.
Your tutorial helped me past the hiccup, which was: (A) no dropdown appeared on photobucket when I hovered over pic with my mouse, so I used the "Copy" tab to the right of the pics, (B) when I used said copy feature and pasted to this forum it pasted two (2) URLs...likely pointing to the same pic. However your tutorial showed what the resulting "paste" should look like and I deleted a lot of what was pasted so it eventually worked.

@Gunrunner - Great information. Not sure if the items you have noted qualify this as a "special order" rifle, but she is a beauty and feels great when shouldered. With all of the goodies you've noted, would this in your opinion be a somewhat rare or perhaps very rare specimen and what in your "estimation" would the value be? As a former FFL dealer myself, I would rate this rifle at or near NRA excellent. Oh, and the front sight is unusual too (pic below)...maybe it is designed for that Lyman rear.
22 in barrel
takedown cam
Lyman Number 21 sight
1/2 Octagon barrel
Highly figured stock
Grade B checkering
Butt pad (believed original to rifle)
Functions beautifully

Thanks again!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Buff Daddy;

The front sight is a Lyman #3 with silver bead. A typical sight for the period and offered by Marlin in the catalogs.
Everything about your Marlin Model 1893 makes it a special order gun. The takedown, half octagon barrel, shorter magazine tube, pistol grip stock of extra select walnut with grade B checking and the Lyman #21 sight were special order items and extra cost when purchasing the gun. The butt pad may be original, but it might be a hard sell to someone else down the line. There are those that will say it is not original to the gun, but it may well be another special ordered item. The other good news it that it is a .32-40 caliber, and not the more common .30-30 that many Model 1893's are. Personally, I do not look at any Model 1893 that is a .30-30 caliber, I have just no interest in one that caliber, and I know others that feel the same way.
As to value, there are some condition issues that will affect the price. But for insurance value for a family piece, I would say somewhere in the area of $4,500.00 would be a fair insurance value for replacement cost. With all the special order features, it would be hard to find a replacement like it. If you were going to sell it, then $3,500.00 to $4,000.00 is closer to what it might sell for with the current market. Some that would say the butt pad it not original will say less I am sure.

Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Just a thought about the sights on this rifle. If the lyman reciever sight had been added at the factory why wouldn't they have used the No. 38. (Produced in 1899) as the no.21 was the old style without windage adjustment. It may bring up question of originally.
I have an 1893, 30" barrel with the no.38 sight and no dovetail for rear sight on barrel. No doubt it came from factory that way.
Buff Daddy you have a very nice rifle.
Brian
Road King
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Even if that sight wasn't on the gun when it left the factory, I'd bet it's been on there for most, if not all of it's life. It certainly appears to have been there a very long time. Of course it's a period correct sight whether done at Marlin, or shortly after the owner bought it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

After closer examination of the photos I realize that it is No.38 sight. I do agree it could have been factory installed or like Marlinman93 says it's been on a long time.
Road King
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Brian is right. It is a #38 Receiver Sight. I just looked at the side view and assumed (big mistake as we all know what that means) that is was a #21 Receiver Sight.

Buff Daddy
Beginner

Post by Buff Daddy »

Thanks to you guys again for all this great information you've been sharing.

As I mentioned in my original post, this rifle was passed down from my Dad. However, in the spirit of full disclosure this is one of over 50 long guns and half again as many pistols/revolvers from his collection I need to deal with. I haven't even had time to properly look them all over and catalog them per se. I know the history on many of his weapons (some were gifts from me), but over many decades he would pick one up here or there, and to my knowledge this Marlin 1893 is NOT a family heirloom in the traditional sense (was not even aware he had it and we discovered a few unknown hidden long gun treasures after his passing). I've been wresting whether I should keep it or not....there are a few that ARE family heirlooms and/or have sentimental value but I can't keep them all, as I have plenty of "safe queens" collected over the years of my own. You can see that I came by that trait honestly :).

With that said, I will likely list this on Gunbroker with a reserve (as well as dozens of others over the next few weeks). However, I would be willing to give this forum of Marlin Collectors first crack at it as a gesture of my appreciation for you guys. Rare weapons like these should go to collectors who truly appreciate them, not to say that I don't but you guys live and show the Marlin passion every day. Please advise me of the appropriate protocol (place add in WTS section, or offers via PM, etc.) and I will respond accordingly. Also, in this collection are a host of other early and pre 1900 weapons (some Marlin I believe) that I may have questions on as well, and again I do appreciate you folks sharing your decades of acquired knowledge.