Model 1893 Information

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Jmyers1
Beginner

Model 1893 Information

Post by Jmyers1 »

Good Morning,
I am new to your forum. I have a Model 1893 Marlin chambered in 38-55. Serial # Dxxxx. I need some help with the following:

- Production date? Looks like 1947 from what I have found.

- I would like to load some ammunition. Any recommendations on cases and bullets?

- Need a good schematic for this rifle. Would also like to locate good parts source. Any recommendations?

If you can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1893 Information

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jim;

Since you state this rifle is marked Model 1893, and has a "D" prefix serial number, it should have been made about 1919/1920. Guns made after that were marked "Marlin Mod. '93".
A parts diagram can be found at Numrich Gun Parts Corporation ( www.gunpartscorp.com ) They may have some parts. Another source is Wisner's ( www.wisnersinc.com ) Bob's gun parts has a few also. ( www.gun-parts.com ) Otherwise, there is always eBay and Gun Broker.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Jmyers1
Beginner

Post by Jmyers1 »

Thanks for the information. Full serial # D3756 if this helps to further pinpoint the production date.
old soul
Beginner

Post by old soul »

Good Afternoon
I also am new to this sight and am looking for information on my Grandfathers gun, its a Marlin 1893 SN# D205 it has a full length ottagon barrel and holds 10 rounds of 30/30 ammo. its missing the rear elivation slider type think , im sure theirs a better name for it.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Old Soul;

If your rifle is a Marlin Model 1893, like Jim's above, then your gun would have been made in the same time frame (1919/1920) There are no records for this era, so we can only estimate this. If your rifle is marked Marlin Mod. '93, then it is later, after 1921 but before 1936.
Sight elevators can sometimes be found on eBay. You would need the kind called a "fish hook" style that has a harpoon end and not just rounded over.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
old soul
Beginner

Post by old soul »

Grand pa installed tape right over where i need to look when my Father was a teenager i'm 60 years old and dont want to remove it.
I was named after him and told i take after him a lot he passed in the early 50's.
i have been using this rifle for the past 3 years and am trying to kill a Michigan up north buck with it just like my Father and Grandfather did.
It's been 68 years sense that rifle killed a deer. I have a picture of my Dad holding it in dear camp in 1951.
Thanks for the information,