Serial Numbers

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

altenba
Beginner

Serial Numbers

Post by altenba »

I have an old Marlin shotgun that I acquired recently, but there is no markings as far as model or anything. I have two serial numbers on it, is there any way I can look these up to get any information on it?

13471 F and 12736 are the serial numbers.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Serial Numbers

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Altenba;

Unfortunately, your serial numbers are to low for existing Marlin shotgun records. The existing records cover the numbers from 19,601 to 67,000. These numbers start in about mid-April of 1901.
The Model 1898 was Marlin's first pump action shotgun and in the beginning was made in 3 different grades. The A or standard grade, the C grade which had an engraved receiver, extra fancy, checkered walnut stocks and a Smokeless Steel barrel, and the D grade which had better engraving, extra fancy, checkered Circassian walnut stocks and a Damascus barrel. After about 1903, Marlin added one more grade, the B grade which had fancy checkered walnut stocks with a Smokeless Steel barrel.
The "F" in your barrel serial number indicates that the barrel is a full choke barrel. The receiver serial number would tend to indicate that this shotgun would have been made about 1900. Barrel and receiver serial numbers will not match and each was recorded in the existing records.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
altenba
Beginner

Re: Serial Numbers

Post by altenba »

Thanks for the information. I have tried to read up about these shotguns before posting on this forum, but I wanted to put my information out there to get any feedback on it.

Appreciate it Regnier!