Rechambering .32 L.C to .32 S&W

Anything to do with gun smithing.
mdgmar
Beginner

Rechambering .32 L.C to .32 S&W

Post by mdgmar »

I have a new bbl. for an 1892 that is currently chambered for .32 Long and want to know if I ream the chamber to .32 S&W long will the action and Magazine handle the new cartridge. Does anyone have any tips that might be helpful here. :?:
We are wiser when we listen, especially to one with experience, more than talk. :?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Rechambering .32 L.C to .32 S&W

Post by marlinman93 »

If the ammo is loaded moderately there shouldn't be a problem. But I'd avoid factory .32 S&W Long ammo unless I knew exactly what the load was. Some can be a bit hot for an 1892 Marlin originally in .32 Long. Also need to slug the bore on the new barrel first, as it might be a later barrel with a tighter bore designed for the .32 Long Colt cartridge. Those run a much smaller .309", and not suitable for a rechamber to .32 S&W Long.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
mdgmar
Beginner

Post by mdgmar »

Thanks for that info Marlinman. I hadn't thought about the bore diameter difference, I've been thinking more in terms of whether the action will cycle OK with difference in over all cartridge size. I plan to cast my own bullets and load my own ammo, so no concern there. I've been shooting BPCR in .45-70 with a Sharps for some time now, so I think I can figure this all out, given a little time and advice from you folks. I still will need a Magazine for this 1892 Marlin, the one that's on the rifle is in bad shape, many, many dents and dings.
We are wiser when we listen, especially to one with experience, more than talk. :?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Great! Since you're going to reload your own, the only issue will be figuring out what bullet you need to select to properly fit the bore. The .32 S&W Long should cycle and feed with no problem.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
azhusker
Pro-Marksman

Post by azhusker »

Regarding the magazine tube, until you find a replacement, which will be difficult, I've had some success fixing them up. Use a hardwood dowel the same size as the tube, slowly forcing it into the tube while rolling and tapping with a small hammer. Roll it like a pool cue to keep it straight. The dents will come out but may leave some marks which can be refinished with either blue or plumb brown, depending on the look you want.
Cornhusker Dave
mdgmar
Beginner

Post by mdgmar »

That's exactly what I did Dave, only I used an aluminum dowel. It didn't leave as many marks as you might think. I did have to polish a few out though. I hate that I'll have to reblue it though, I always like to keep an original finish if I can.
I'm having a little trouble figuring out how the mag. attaches to the barrel though. I used to have one of these when I was in my late teens but can't remember exactly how it attached. I seem to remember a stud arrangement, but it just want come out of the fog of my brain. Not having an original rifle to look at I'm having to work from memory and at 69 that's pretty iffy. Anyone got a clue?
azhusker
Pro-Marksman

Post by azhusker »

Pull the outer tube all the way out to reveal a hole to access the screw that holds it to the stud.
Cornhusker Dave
mdgmar
Beginner

Post by mdgmar »

OK !!!! Got my chamber reamer and have re-chambered the new barrel to .32 S&W Long. Ran into some problems with extractor not wanting to seat over cartridge rim reliably, had to stone lip of extractor, more or less just cleaned it up slightly. Found factory Cartridge OAL of 1.280 in. is about .080 in. too long to work through the action smoothly with round nose bullets. I don't have a flat nosed mold (yet) but I think they will work well seated to same depth. At any rate an OAL of 1.190 in. to 1.195 in. seems to work great. Going to the range tomorrow, I'll let you know what happens.
mdgmar
Beginner

Post by mdgmar »

Finely got to range last week, rifle shoots great but not as accurate as I had hoped. probably because I had to flattened the nose on the factory ammo to get it to go through the action. Used a file and eyeballed them. I just finished molding some bullets with my new mold and will load a few tomorrow with Black powder. Hope they will work better, I'll let you know.