Loading cartridges in 1881 40-60 lever gun

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BuckMarlin
Beginner

Loading cartridges in 1881 40-60 lever gun

Post by BuckMarlin »

I’m having trouble loading cartridges into the tube of my 1881 40-60. They jam halfway in. It’s as if the cartridge is too long to go around the curve and get into the tube. Anyone have a solution?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Loading cartridges in 1881 40-60 lever gun

Post by marlinman93 »

Probably worn carrier or lever contact. Some people find when their 1881 gets a bit worn that they can open the lever fully and cartridges will load in the open lever position. It's a cheap fix, but very few gunsmiths have the talent and knowledge to take care of the worn carrier/lever issues.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
OldManLarsen
Beginner

Post by OldManLarsen »

You have to briskly push the cartridge forward with your thumb and it will go fully in. If you gently try to load cartridges they won't go in. It's a very tight fit but works!
OldManLarsen
Beginner

Post by OldManLarsen »

I forgot to state that I hold the loading gate fully forward with my left hand that is also holding my rifle when I use my right hand to reload. I also was afraid to push the cartridge past the point where it appeared that it wouldn't go in. I position the cartridge partially in and then I push it foward with my thumb firmly and I was surprised the first time it went fully in. You can't baby this rifle but don't abuse it either!