Marlin Model 1897

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

huskerbob
Beginner

Marlin Model 1897

Post by huskerbob »

New guy from UT here. Thanks for the add! Looking forward to learning a lot about vintage Marlins by following the posts on this forum.

I have a Model 1897 .22 Lever I acquired about 2 years ago. Based on the S/N of 3529XX, I believe it was built in 1906. I was thought I'd try to find out if there are any resources available that would give me any additional specific information on the gun. I thoroughly enjoy shooting the gun. It's a good shooter and has many confirmed soda and beer can kills to it's credit!! I'm just curious about it's individual history.

Appreciate any and all responses. And thanks again for letting me join your group!!

huskerbob
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 1897

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Huskerbob;

You are most likely correct with the 1906 ship date. Your serial number is low enough for existing records to be able to know what was listed in the records. Not to say the information is there as a lot of the later records are blank, with no entries for serial numbers.
I do hope you are using standard velocity or target ammunition in your Model '97. This is a black powder gun, and the modern, high speed ammunition is too powerful for this action. Using modern, high speed ammunition can crack the breech bolt.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
huskerbob
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 1897

Post by huskerbob »

Yes, thanks. I have the correct ammo.