Marlin with name engraved

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

mackman77
Beginner

Marlin with name engraved

Post by mackman77 »

Hello. I am new to the forum and I am overwhelmed with the amount of great info here! I enjoy collecting Marlin Golden 39A rifles amoung others. I recently purchased a 1956 model Mountie that has a name engraved on the left hand side of receiver. It is very nicely done, in cursive. I have read somewhere that Marlin once offered this as a custom option. Is anyone familiar with this? I would really like to know if this was performed at the Marlin factory? Or, perhaps by a local jeweler?? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- mackman77
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin with name engraved

Post by marlinman93 »

Marlin did offer a series of 336 and 39a rifles with a grip cap that had a place for initials to be engraved in. You simply sent the cap back to Marlin and they engraved the 3 initials you wanted and returned it. I have never heard of an offering from Marlin to engrave names in the receivers of 39A's during the 1950's?
In the pre WWI era Marlin would gladly do special order engraving, and also presentation plaques in firearms at request. I've seen numerous pre WWI era Marlins with names, initials, plaques, etc. done at the factory then.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
mackman77
Beginner

Re: Marlin with name engraved

Post by mackman77 »

Thanks for the input. I am wondering what this engraving does to the value of the gun? I wish I knew how to upload a photo. I know that would help. I guess I need to find a John C. Dundorf to purchase this rifle! It is a very nice little Mountie!