Looking for old parts for a Model 1894

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

SA4253
Beginner

Looking for old parts for a Model 1894

Post by SA4253 »

Recently purchased a Model 1894, 25-20. It needs a butt plate and rear sight. I would prefer to find "old" replacement parts rather than new ones. The gun is 114 years old and I want it to keep it as authentic as possible. Any suggestions as to where I can find the parts?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Looking for old parts for a Model 1894

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

SA4253;

Sights can be found on eBay quite often. The butt plate will show up there once in a while, but you should know that any butt plate you buy will most likely not fit your stock. The butt plates were in place on the stock when the stock was final sanded, so the butt plate was sanded to the same size as the stock. Very seldom will you find two butt stocks sanded to exactly the same size as this was all hand work back in the day.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
SA4253
Beginner

Post by SA4253 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep my eyes open. Interesting information about the sanding of the butt stock but it makes since.
SA4253
Beginner

Looking for a picture of a butt plate on a Model 1894 in 25-20

Post by SA4253 »

Does anyone have a picture of what the butt plate for a Model 1894 in a 25-20 looks like? The rifle was Mfg in 1903. If you could also give me some measurements as well. Such as length and width, distance between holes? Anything would help. There seems to be several different styles according to everyone wanting to sell a butt plate on the internet! I have seen everything from plastic to rubber to steel. I've seen where they have two screws going through the end of the stock and I've seen where there are two screws, one going through the end the other through the top of the stock. I'm starting to wonder if the butt stock is even original!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

There are indeed 3 styles of buttplate used on the 1894 Marlins. And even a 4th if you count the rare option of a small Swiss buttplate that could be installed on special order. The 3 buttplates were the standard cast crescent with one screw through the rear, and one down through the top. The hard rubber (plastic looking) with two screws in the rear. And the stamped steel that also has two screws through the rear.
If your stock is original it will have the serial number of your gun stamped in it. The number will be found under the top tang in the recess, so pulling the stock will reveal it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!