New Member from Louisiana

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gambit
Beginner

New Member from Louisiana

Post by Gambit »

Hello

I'm a long time firearm enthusiast, shooter and modest collector.

Until about three years ago I did not own a Marlin product.

At that time my dad died and I inherited a Model 1894, 44 magnum from what I believe is 1978 (serial number beginning with 22). He was a guy that liked firearms and had just a few. Except for shotguns, he rarely shot any of them including this rifle. It is like new except for a missing butt swivel. I have just now pulled it out for a good cleaning and inspection.

Does the value of this rifle make it one that I should put away or can I enjoy shooting it guilt free? It does pair nicely with a Ruger Bisely I have in the same caliber.

TIA
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: New Member from Louisiana

Post by marlinman93 »

Although these earlier Marlins seem to have a lot of value these days, it's not so much that you should not shoot and enjoy it. Guessing it will be around, or under $1,000.
I shoot Marlins that are all over 130 years old, and I just take care in my reloading, handling, and cleaning. But I wouldn't dream of just making them safe queens because they might be worth thousands of dollars.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Gambit
Beginner

Post by Gambit »

Thanks for your reply, marlinman93.
Scotty
Beginner

Post by Scotty »

Another way to look at it. I think you should enjoy it, if looking at it works, fine, but I am guessing you will enjoy it more by using it. I have been to a lot of funerals and never once saw any money in the casket. Enjoy it and remember the guy who loved it.