Marlin model 38 value

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Jlwamble
Beginner

Marlin model 38 value

Post by Jlwamble »

I have recently come into possession of a model 38 Marlin 22 slide rifle. I was wondering about its value. I had some preliminary pictures. I will try to take more detailed ones. Any help would be appreciated. There is no visible serial number. it has a 24" octagonal barrel. The stamp on the barrel says Marlin Rockwell Corp. new haven. Patd mar 17. Sept. 15. 1914 July 13.20. 1915. I would be grateful for any help. I can take some pics if they would facilitate the identification process.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin model 38 value

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jlwamble;

Yes, definitely post some pictures of this Model 38. Most Marlin Model 38, hammerless, .22 caliber pump action rifles have a barrel marked with the Marlin Firearms Corporation marking, not the Marlin-Rockwell Corporation marking, So this will be an early entry back into the commercial firearms business after WW I. Most Model 38's had a serial number visible on the lower, forward portion of the receiver near the model marking. Again, another indication that this is an early production gun.
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Jlwamble
Beginner

Post by Jlwamble »

[img]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s345.photobucket.com/user/jlwamb ... frame>[img]
Jlwamble
Beginner

Post by Jlwamble »

Here are some pics of the model 38.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s345.photobucket.com/user/jlwamb ... "></iframe>
Kccoatings
Beginner

Post by Kccoatings »

What are the odds? I just aquired the exact same rifle with the exact same patent dates. The serial number is stamped in the side of the tang. Remove the stock and you will
See it. Or take it down and it will be stamped inside the receiver on the bolt of it all matches. Mine is serial number 8**
These particular M38's are rare. Model 32 left over parts used on the early Model 38's. Patent dates are those of the M32 as is the Swebilius sight. The later model 38's and those that most know about used the Rocky Mountain buckhorn sight, had a serial number stamped on the reciever and the patent dates were in the 20's. These rifles are scarce and rare but no one can out a value on them.. Some say well in to the 4 digits, some say not so much.. So who knows lol. Also, your pictures are showing up. Bad link?
gollywobbler
Beginner

Post by gollywobbler »

Have case colored 1892 action mated to a mod.38 barrel mistakenly dovetailed for both the long and short magazines. Factory made long forearm utilizes short magazine dovetail with correct parts. Long magazine is in place. Both action and barrel are in new condition.
This is an example of Marlin Rockwell employees utilizing existing parts and factory mistakes to make functional rifles.
The best of L.L. Hepburn