Marlin 30-30 Model 93

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Jere
Beginner

Marlin 30-30 Model 93

Post by Jere »

This is an inherited gun. "Marlin Safety" And 2 small slotted screw heads on top of receiver. "Marlin Model 93" on upper tang. S/N 1035 (no letter prefix) on bottom of receiver near forearm. 26-inch round barrel marked "Special Smokeless Powder", "30-30", and latest patent date of 1893. Full length cartridge tube. Folding peep sight (which I presume to be a later add-on) attached to upper tang.
Marlin Historian is no help... due to "records being burned in a factory fire."
Date of manufacture or any other info will be much appreciated.
It's a family heirloom (not for sale) but a value estimate for insurance purposes would be helpful.
Jere
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 30-30 Model 93

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jere;

The fact that your Marlin is marked Marlin Model '93 indicates it was made after 1921. With the serial number up near the forearm, without a letter prefix indicates that it most likely was made in 1921.
Value cannot be determined without knowing the condition of the remaining original factory finishes on the wood and metal. Condition dictates the value. A 90% gun can be worth a couple of thousand whereas a 30% gun is worth considerably less than that.
Your best bet is to observe some of the internet gun auction sites and watch for a gun in similar condition to yours and see what it actually sells for.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Jere
Beginner

Post by Jere »

Thank you! You are far more informative and responsive than the "Marlin Historian' who, after requesting photos and exchanging messages over a period of months, said "No data available due to a fire in the factory."
Jere
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jere;

The ole "records lost due to fire" story has been around a long time. But, we do not know of any fire that destroyed the records, as some records do exist. We just suspect that some record books were lost at some point in time as there were some people in the past that gained access to the records, made copies and then began writing about Marlins. This was back in the 1950's sometime, before Bill Brophy became the factory defacto historian and got control of the existing records. It is just an easy way to say "the do not know" as they are not Marlin collectors or history buffs.

Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

I attend many gunshows over the coarse of a year on both sides of the tables. It's funny how many times I hear about this "fire in the factory" which destroyed the records. It must have been one big fire. I've heard it took place in the Marlin. Winchester, Colt, S&W, and Remington factories. Apparently Iver Johnson, Savage, Stevens, and Springfield were spared.
WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Wishbone wrote:I attend many gunshows over the coarse of a year on both sides of the tables. It's funny how many times I hear about this "fire in the factory" which destroyed the records. It must have been one big fire. I've heard it took place in the Marlin. Winchester, Colt, S&W, and Remington factories. Apparently Iver Johnson, Savage, Stevens, and Springfield were spared.
WB
It would seem Savage and Stevens weren't spared either! When the US Government began to look into war profiteering after WWI, Savage/Stevens records were destroyed in a fire that most feel was arson under Westinghouse's ownership. At the same time the high level managers of the firm were relocated to other parts of the country to make contacting them for the investigation very tough.
I assume the fire stories (myths) often sprang from this actual fire at Savage/Stevens.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Pete44ru
Marksman

Post by Pete44ru »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:17 am
It would seem Savage and Stevens weren't spared either!

When the US Government began to look into war profiteering after WWI, Savage/Stevens records were destroyed in a fire that most feel was arson under Westinghouse's ownership.

At the same time the high level managers of the firm were relocated to other parts of the country to make contacting them for the investigation very tough.

I assume the fire stories (myths) often sprang from this actual fire at Savage/Stevens.

Since Savage's response to a US Government subpoena of their production records prior to their war profiteering (WWI) trial was "all our production records were lost in an office fire", I would presume that the fire started shortly after Savage received the subpoena ……….. :roll:

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

No better time for a fire to start. Of course, they could have been lost in a flood, but no one knows how to start a flood!

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

There's no doubt Savage inherited a can of worms when they bought Stevens and discovered that Westinghouse had been doing some shaky things during their ownership. But they acquired Stevens/Westinghouse employees too, so they had to cover the tracks of the previous owners, and current employees.
As Regnier stated, not many options that could be used to destroy records, and look like an "accident". But I've always wondered how they sent some managers to the West Coast for extended "assignments" and got away with that? What work was out West that Savage could cover their extended trips with? And today that would never work like it did in the early 1920's! They have them on a live chat feed talking to Congress today!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!