marlin pump 12ga.

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

budman8265
Beginner

marlin pump 12ga.

Post by budman8265 »

I have a marlin 12ga. Pat'd Nov. 6 1894, may 12 1896, June 2 1896. My serial number is in 16,000s. It has a hammer and it fires. Good condition for a hundred year old gun. I cant find anything on what model it is year it is. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Trying to find value also. I will post pictures later. Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin pump 12ga.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Budman8265;

With those patent dates, and a serial number in the 16,000 range, you will have a Marlin Model 1898, exposed hammer, pump action, 12 gauge shotgun. The Model 1898 was made from 1898 to 1905. It is a takedown action, and was made in four (4) different grades. The barrel serial number usually does not match the receiver serial number and the type of choke inside the barrel is designated with a letter (F for full, M for modified and C for cylinder bore or open choke) next to the barrel serial number.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
budman8265
Beginner

Post by budman8265 »

How do I find records on this gun. Im trying to find exact model#, when it was made and correct value. I've had many people tell me the gun is not worth anything because serial number on barrel and receiver doesn't match.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Budman8265;

Your shotgun is a Marlin Model 1898, there is no question as to the model. As to finding out any more, we need pictures. The old factory records start at 19,000, so your serial number is to low to research. As to the barrel number not matching the receiver, that is typical. I do not know of any instances where the numbers match. If your serial number was able to research, the receiver number and barrel number are listed in the records to determine if the gun is original or not.

As to value, condition, condition, condition is the factor. Without knowing the overall condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal, we cannot determine a value. Here again, pictures will help.

smith24
Beginner

Post by smith24 »

I have a marlin 12ga. pump action, shotgun. Pat'd Nov. 6 1894, may 12 1896, June 2 1896. My serial number is in 9046 It has a exposed hammer no safety and it does fires.The receiver serial number 10417 F , I know the F is for Full . Trying to find out anything on model , year it was made ? Please help
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Smith24;

With those patent dates on a 12 gauge gun, it will be an early Model 1898. Most likely made in about 1899.

rolling
Beginner

Post by rolling »

I have what I think is a model1898 pump shotgun. receiver serial # 33807, barrel # 35204f, 30 " barrel, could you tell me the year it was manufactured and if the serial numbers were shipped on the same gun from the factory. if not how I can look them up. thank you ron.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Rolling;

Hopefully, you have inverted the last two digits of the barrel serial number as the records show the barrel number for receiver 33807 as 35240, not 35204.
Your shotgun is a Model 1898, and was shipped from the factory in early 1904. The 30 inch barrel length is what is shown in the records.

rolling
Beginner

Post by rolling »

your right I inverted last two numbers. you have been a great help. thank you ron.
victimize
Beginner

Post by victimize »

I have a 1889 Pump Shot Gun 12ga. Serial # 68209 and barrel # 69459F. Any info on my rifle would be appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Victimize;

Unfortunately, the serial number for your Marlin Model 1898, exposed hammer pump action shotgun is just out of the range of existing serial number records. The Marlin pump action shotgun records that exist start at 19,601 and end at 67,000 in December of 1904. So, from that, you should figure your shotgun would have been shipped in 1905.

Welshj
Beginner

Post by Welshj »

I was given a rusty 1898 that had been stored in a basement! :(
I've since semi restored her, blasted and cerakoted everything back to black. In that process, I've found her numbers and am curious like the others before me on this thread.

So if you've the time, what do my new old numbers tell about her?

Model 1898 12ga
Reciever # 56598
Barrel # 58988 full choke

Thank you,
Joel
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Joel;

Your A grade or standard grade Marlin Model 1898, exposed hammer, pump action shotgun was shipped in very early 1903. The barrel numbers match up in the records with that receiver. The records also show that the barrel was 30 inches in length when it left the factory.

chevythunder
Beginner

Post by chevythunder »

Hello all,

I have a shotgun I have inherited from my grandfather. I believe the shotgun to be a Marlin 1898 "exposed hammer shotgun", but I'm coming here for some of your expertise. This shotgun has engraved on the Left side of the barrel: "Marlin Fire-Arms Co. New-Haven CT. USA" and underneath that "PAT'D NOV. 6, 1894. MAY 12, 1896 & JUNE 2, 1896". Underneath those engravings, it has engraved "Special Smokeless Steel". The Left side of the receiver has pretty intricate engraving with 3 ducks flying, and on the right side of the receiver theres more of the same intricate engraving, and on the right side of the "bolt" there is what appears to be 2 flying doves/pigeons. Barrel length is approximately 30 inches. The Barrel is serial numbered 23,XXX with an "M" stamped to the left of the number. The receiver is serial numbered 23,XXX (located on the bottom side of the receiver, with more engraving encircling the serial number). Please note, the barrel and receiver serial numbers do not match...

Any information you can give me with be very helpful. As I recall my grandfather told me this shotgun belonged to his father, maybe even his grandfather. Just looking for some information to go along with this heirloom. Also, maybe a guesstimate of value would also be appreciated!

Thank you so much!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Chevythunder;

You have a Marlin Model 1898 "C" Grade shotgun. With the full serial number of the receiver, it can be researched in the old factory records. The records list the original barrel serial number that was installed in the receiver. From your description, it most likely will be the original barrel as the "C" Grade shotguns had the Special Smokeless Steel barrels. Interesting that a 30 inch barrel has a modified choke ( the "M" next to the serial number indicates it is a modified choke) Most 30 inch barrels had a full choke.
This shotgun was probably shipped in late 1899 or early 1900. The records will tell that, also.