Marlin Model 47 - research project

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

shotley
Pro-Marksman

Re: Marlin Model 47 - research project

Post by shotley »

I have serial no. 3621. All other info is the same as what Camarrillo Smith contributed on 6/11/11.
Good luck on your project!
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Post by marlin 1893 »

Chrifle: AuctionArms has a Model 47 listed if you haven't already seen it.
Ed1957
Beginner

Post by Ed1957 »

I just signed up for MCA. My father (90 yrs. old) gave me a Marlin model 47, 22 cal. rifle (he purchased used in 1937 from his uncle). It was used to hunt for many years according to my dad. There are no papers or parts with it. The piece actually looks pretty good but isn't in great functional shape. It is still "restorable" though, according to a local gunsmith. It's a pump action repeater. Marlin No.47, serial #5101. It has a Mossberg adjustable scope. The gunsmith I mentioned says he needs technical data to make replacement parts. I've also ordered a "Marlin Firearms" book hoping to shed some light on this gun. Is this thing worth sinking money into or is it just worth "sentimental value"?? Thanks for any help here. Ed in Indiana.
palabra
Pro-Marksman

Post by palabra »

I have just added an excellent Model 47 to my Marlin collection. Here is the information:

Serial no. 4298
Marlin Firearms Corporation roll stamp
Small fixed front and rear sights
21 1/2 inches to the front of the breech
barrel not crowned
This rifle still has the original lacquer on the cased receiver and original varnish. The screws are crisp, bright blue and unturned. The rifle is basically new with only a few handling scratches on the stock.

please let me know at palabra@hughes.net if you have any other questions.

Regards, Jerry
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

Database update report for 3Q2011:

2 rifles have been picture verified with 3 digit serial codes, and the highest serial number rifle reported by Brophy has been found/confirmed! The current known range of serial numbers is thus 230 - 5101, likely indicating total production was in the range of 5000 rifles.
Approximately 20% of the rifles reported have the Rocky Mountain adjustable rear sight, with no obvious link to production timing. The 23" round barrel is often reported being topped with a brass bead front sight, but many rifles missing the bead signifies ivory could have been used also.
Only 1 rifle has been identified with the non-script, MOD.47 tang marking.

I truly appreciate all of the inputs so far (many from members here), and hope the information continues to flow in!!!
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Good report. Nothing like the rifles themselves to tell the story.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

2Q2012 database update:

Many additions this quarter (with special thanks to Schtoolee)

The current known range of serial numbers is 230 - 5101
Approximately 10% of the rifles reported have the Rocky Mountain adjustable rear sight, with no obvious link to production timing. Fixed rear blade looks to be standard; other adjustable sights have appeared, but are known to be more modern designs and simply replacements...
Only 1 rifle has been identified with the non-script, MOD.47 tang marking

Please continue to contribute!
SGTMAJ
Beginner

Post by SGTMAJ »

My Marlin model 47 has serial number 1154. I've owned it for over a year. Distance between end of the barrel & top of the inside magazine tube is 3 1/8". Front sight is standard dovetail mount. Rear sight is dovetail mounted single piece. Buttplate is curved steel. My rifle is in the "white" because all of the chemical finish has worn off. There is only a trace of case coloring. The rifle is complete and the action is tight. Not bad for an eighty-year-old rifle. With this serial number I suspect that it was one of the first and made in 1930. I'll be glad to furnish more information as needed. SGTMAJ in Memphis.
palabra
Pro-Marksman

Post by palabra »

I am setting up at the Louisville show where the Marlin Collectors are meeting in Sept. I am bringing my Model 47 and it will be on the table. I believe it to be a condition census grade (almost new) rifle and i would like to see others like it at the show. Hope more 47's can come. Jerry
LLytle
Beginner

Post by LLytle »

Recently picked up a Model 47 at auction, I was suprised when I started researching it. I along with everyone else didnt realize what it actually was. Seller had a very nice collection of Win. 1890's and 1906's, the 47 was in as good or better shape. The Winchester's sold at $1000.00 + so I was pleasantly suprised to get the Model 47 for $375.00, I would say it is about 90%. So to help with your research please add this to your records.
Serial # 1440
Tang marked: MOD 47 (one line no marlin script)
sights: Fixed
Barrell Length From muzzle end to where face meets chamber it's 22"
Rear of Front Sight to End of Barrell 1"
Rear Sight to Reciever 3"
This one seems to be very similar to 54bullseye's rifle

LLytle
deldillco
Beginner

Post by deldillco »

I have Sn 162X. The tang marking is Mod 47, uncrowned muzzle, fixed rear sight, brass bead front, 22" barrel.

In my opinion the serial number sequence for this rifle must be mingled with the very similar regular production Model 29N (possibly just made upon order out of 29N production run). If only a TOTAL of 2300 guns were taken in the stock offering and there were 10-11 model choices, there is no way that there were over 5000 Model 47s produced. If Marlin preferred stock buyers were picking a firearm it stands to reason that there would be a scattering of all offerings selected. If that were to be absolutely true, only 10% of the 2300 would be Model 47. Again, just my opinion.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

1Q2014 update (many additions since last update!):
The current known range of serial numbers is 230 - 5101 (only 2 verified with 3 digit serial numbers)
Less than 10% of the rifles reported have the Rocky Mountain adjustable rear sight, with no obvious link to production timing. This appears to have been a special order item only. The 23" round barrel and fixed rear sight appear standard. The non-script, MOD.47 tang marking is present on ~15% of the rifles, all but one exist in the serial number area of 1200 to 1800. I am going to check if there could be a mistake with the one rifle "out of range", but it was from a reputable auction house. There are no rifles reported in broad serial ranges of 600 to 1100, and 3800 to 4200; otherwise most 100 digit levels include at least one reported rifle.
Some members have questioned whether this rifle may have shared serial numbers with other models (thus reducing greatly the numbers thought produced). The only other pump rifles offered at the time were the model 37 and model 27S, and more investigation is required to rule in favor of, or completely disregard, this potential. Model 37 numbers "should" have been in the 5 digit range by this time, and the model 27S receiver was much larger to accomodate centerfire cartridges, likely meaning different production periods and lines being utilized.
Please continue to contribute information and thoughts - all is appreciated!
hiddencars
Beginner

Post by hiddencars »

Hello all newbie here, I found this sight while doing some research on a No 47 .22 pump I have, I figured I would let you know that you can now up your serial number range as mine has serial # 5111 if you need any other info let me know.....
Model47
Beginner

Post by Model47 »

I was pleased to find that the first firearm I had ever shot as a kid is a model 47. This was always my favorite rifle and I have just inherited it from my father, who got omit from his father. I have ser # 4677. I will post pics when I figure out how to get them on here.
CDG306
Beginner

Post by CDG306 »

I just picked up #1936 today in a chance encounter. Fixed sights. No crown. Not mint but it functions perfectly and overall solid condition.