38 standard hammer removal

Anything to do with gun smithing.
jtull01
Beginner

38 standard hammer removal

Post by jtull01 »

Hi,
Boy am I happy I found this forum. I have become infatuated with Marlin revolvers. I buy everyone (price dictating) I come across. I love to try and testify them.
My latest is a 38 standard 1878.
Please help me! For the life of me I can't figure on how to remove the hammer. Some how the notched circle spring holder has to come off the reversed side Pin/Screw(?) SEE PHOTOS I found a exploded parts picture on line from a book "Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them".
[URL=http://s268.photobucket.com/user/j ... .png[/img][/url]
ImageImage[/url][/url]
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 38 standard hammer removal

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jutll01;

I have a few Marlin pistols, and from time to time, have to do a little work on them. To remove the screw that holds the hammer in on the Standard revolvers, it is best to make a special screwdriver that will do the job. I find a screwdriver that will span the diameter of the screw, then grind or file a "notch" in the screwdriver that will span the distance between the notches in the screw that holds the hammer. Do not get the tip of the screwdriver to hot or you can loose the temper and the two "points" will bend when you try to unscrew the screw. A little oil will help, and maybe if you have a soldering iron, a little heat applied to the tip of the screw on the opposite side can help, too.
Or, if you do not want to make a screwdriver that fits, you might try a pair of snap ring pliers or a set of small needle nose pliers that will fit into the notches of the screw.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
jtull01
Beginner

Post by jtull01 »

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried soaking the "screw" with PB Blast, heating it etc, to no availe. I even tried to tap it with a brass punch! It won't move. I'll try the special tool.
Are the threads left or right hand?
What does the screw thread into?
Thanks Avery much.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jtull01;

The screw threads into the side of the frame. It is a right hand thread. Apply the tip of the soldering iron to the end of the screw protruding out on the right side of the frame. This is a steel frame gun, and there may be some rust holding the screw tight. Heating the screw tip can help loosen the rust somewhat and make it a little easier to remove.
Good luck.....

jtull01
Beginner

Post by jtull01 »

yes

The modified screw driver tool worked like a charm.
Can't thank the forum enough.
Now I'll need a source for Marlin Revolver parts ?
Regards to everyone.
:wink:
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Jtull01;

You will soon discover that finding Marlin revolver parts is very difficult! I have had to buy complete guns in poor condition and strip them of the parts I have needed. Sometimes you can buy them cheap enough that it is okay and that many parts will interchange between the models. But, these old guns had many parts hand fitted to make them work, so be prepared to do a little hand fitting at times. If you cannot find the parts you need, you may have to make them using a pattern from another gun. Springs are big things that often need to be made.