Model 1893 Marlin (Take Down Rifle)

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

william m. slover
Beginner

Model 1893 Marlin (Take Down Rifle)

Post by william m. slover »

I own a marlin model 1893 take down rifle. It has a octagon barrel which says "Special Smokeless Steel", stamped on top. It is in origional condition and has a few dings in the wood. A few marks on the steel where the barrel retainer has been opened and close over the years. Overall condition of this rifle is very good. I checked the serial number on a Marlin web site which said it was mfg. in 1903. It shoots very accurately. has a silver blade for the front sight. Anyone got a idea as to what this rifle is worth? I purchased it in 1969 and have hunted with it now and then. Not sure if its something I should be taking into the elements. Would like to here from members. Thanks.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

I am a firm believer that the old girls, in shooting condition, should be shot. Without seeing it and knowing the caliber, it is difficult to give a value. I have several 1893's in the same era that ran aprox. $800 each. Yours being a takedown if in good condition and all original would be somewhat higher. If you can post digital pictures that would help. If not go to the gun auction places on the web. Find recent sales and see how they compare to yours from the photos they put up. If you send an email to Reigner with your serial No. he should be able to check the configuration it left the factory in.
GBOT, GBUSA
william m. slover
Beginner

Post by william m. slover »

Hi Sure shot: Thanks for the reply. I am new to this site so appreciate it very much. I will no doubt continue to hunt with the Model 93 (on nice days). I just like the long gun and open sights now and then. Will check out the auction sites on the web as you mentioned. Will also check out the ser. #. My gun is a 30-30. Thought I had that in my letter but guess I left it out. Thanks again for the reply. It was very helpful. Bill