marlin model 97 serial number 403057

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
clonze
Beginner

marlin model 97 serial number 403057

Post by clonze »

I'm looking for an age of this rifle. Any suggestions/ideas?
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: marlin model 97 serial number 403057

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Serial number required.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
glock2240
Beginner

Post by glock2240 »

Bear 45/70 wrote:Serial number required.
LOL I think you missed the SN in the title 403057. I am not up to par on the SN's and did a little research before commenting on this post, from what I've found the SN is after the cutoff of 1906, but I'm not even sure about that. I would suggest asking this question over on The Marlin Firearms Forums, there are a lot more folks that visit that forum and you might get the answer your looking for there. Also check out this old thread:

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=6595

Tim
"I hate rude behaviour in a man....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) in "Lonesome Dove"
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Clonze;

A Marlin Model '97 with a serial number in the 403,000 range is well past the existing records, so we can only estimate when it was made. From what little we know for sure, we can estimate that a gun in that particular range might have been made around 1909/1910 era.
Unfortunately, that is about as close as we will be able to get for now. I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

Tim,
The original poster - clonze - came to the right place to ask a s/n question of a Marlin. The Secretary / Treasure of the Marlin Firearms Collectors Assn. - Regnier - has the only copy of the original Marlin Firearms Co. s/n records, outside of the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, WY, in existance. He has been a member of the MFCA since its inception over 40 years ago. He and other members of this forum and the MFCA have forgotten more about Marlins than the rest of the collective world has remembered. True, this website does not get the traffic the some other websites get, but the information supplied here is usually spot on written in stone. The other website, well....not so much.
But thanks for insulting this website on this website.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
glock2240
Beginner

Post by glock2240 »

Wishbone wrote:Tim,
The original poster - clonze - came to the right place to ask a s/n question of a Marlin. The Secretary / Treasure of the Marlin Firearms Collectors Assn. - Regnier - has the only copy of the original Marlin Firearms Co. s/n records, outside of the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, WY, in existance. He has been a member of the MFCA since its inception over 40 years ago. He and other members of this forum and the MFCA have forgotten more about Marlins than the rest of the collective world has remembered. True, this website does not get the traffic the some other websites get, but the information supplied here is usually spot on written in stone. The other website, well....not so much.
But thanks for insulting this website on this website.

WB
Wishbone I'm sorry I got your panties in a knot, or anyone else's as far as that goes. If you look at my membership I've been here for 6 years and only have 16 post. I don't randomly spew incorrect info and try to read and learn what I can about Marlins. If you feel that it would be better for me to keep my mouth shut and not mention another website, let me know on a public forum, don't bother to use a PM as I might not notice it.

Tim
"I hate rude behaviour in a man....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) in "Lonesome Dove"
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bob;

Thank you for your comments regarding our website. I have had to go to the other site when someone asked me to do so, and it is incredible the amount of mis-information that is posted on that site. Many are just repeating the information from Brophy's book that has since publication, been proven to be incorrect. And in some cases, apparently the poster there simply cannot read and interpret correctly what was written. I simply refuse to be involved with such nonsense. If someone wants the correct information, they can come here.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.