Seeking value of old Model 39

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

LarryA44
Beginner

Seeking value of old Model 39

Post by LarryA44 »

I have a Marlin Model 39 Take Down lever action rifle that was manufactured in the early '20's.

The S/N is S 218x. It has a 24" octogon barrel, with "22 S - L & L-R" engraved on the barrel. The bore seems spotless. Mechanically, the rifle is in excellent condition. The lever is smooth and the trigger is crisp. All screws are intact and function. The magazine tube functions perfectly and sights are intact. It's extremely accurate with Blazer .22s.

Cosmetically, though, it's pretty worn. The pistol grip stock has excellent grain, but is dinged and scratched. On one side, the finish is worn down to the wood.

The receiver and lever appears to be case hardened, but is pretty much grayed. The barrel has lost most of the bluing (sorry, but I'm terrible at estimating percentage).

I'm considering sellingit; can you estimate the value? Please reply to me at: larry44ATgmail.com. Thanks for any help!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't normally estimate guns sight unseen, but I can give you a couple of examples that have sold recently around my area. One pretty nice model 39, but missing the buttplate, and small chip at the toe of the stock. Decent case colors, and lots of original bluing and varnish. It went for $400.
Another pretty nice 39, with great bore and wood, bluing about 70%, and almost no case colors, just silvery. It went for $300.
By the way, if your gun is a S prefix, it wont be early 1920's, but rather late 1920's.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
LarryA44
Beginner

Post by LarryA44 »

Thanks for all the information, and for the date correction. It was all very helpful!