New 1895 series

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

RJ442
Beginner

New 1895 series

Post by RJ442 »

Need some info on the new 1895 series weapons. How is the action NIB? Do they need to be reworked (like all Colts do) for proper function? My newest Marlin is a 1957 39A .22 so I don't have any experience with new. I am considering the purchase of a 1895CB 45-70 and would like some feedback.
Thanks in advance.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

I find the new rifles function properly, but they aren't finished as well as might be expected. I begin by firing at least 200 rounds and then take the rifle completely apart to polish the worn areas.

I find the triggers too heavy for my tastes, as well. Anyone coming to that conclusion can order a Wild West trigger from a vendor likeBrownells or do a trigger job themselves. I have a WW trigger on one rifle and like it very well, but a trigger smooting and lightening operation is not that difficult and will yield the same results for about 100 dollars less.

After polishing the action and adjusting the trigger to taste, I very much enjoy the 1895 series. I shoot my 444P often and also like my 45-70 Guide Gun. I haven't yet a 450 Guide Gun, but am confident I will find a nice used one sometime. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
RJ442
Beginner

Post by RJ442 »

Thanks for the reply, I kind of expected the answer. I only have two guns newer than 1966 and both of them (Ruger M77 300 Win Mag and Colt 45 SAA) needed serious rework. Seems like my old guns (Browning, Winchester, Colt, Marlin, Ithaca Etc) came with smooth action and trigger pull about 3 Lbs, maybe it costs too much to make a quality product?
RJB