old model 39

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Doug

old model 39

Post by Doug »

I'm working on an old 39 that had several problems. I've got all of them figured out except for the cartridge stop. I got an old model cartridge stop, but it won't fit in the slot in the side plate, I'd have to mill the slot longer by about 3/16" to accept the part I have. Is there an old, old model 39 or some such thing? Anybody have any idea what cartridge stop will fit? The serial is S16xx.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Re: old model 39

Post by chrifle »

Hi Doug, I am not sure whether the cartridge stop was redesigned from the Model 39 to the 39A, but will do some further checking. That being said, I would opt to alter the part (cartridge stop you have), rather than the receiver channel? A model '97 stop is likely the same as the 39. When you say "old model" part, could it be referring to the model 39A series, where quite a few variations were made during the years? Have you checked with Wisner's, Bobs Gun Shop, or others? Good luck with completing your project, and be sure and shoot only low / standard velocity ammunition in that era Model 39!
Doug

Post by Doug »

Thanks for the reply. Modifying the stop I have isn't an option as its a piece of spring steel with a hole in one end, a 90 degree twist and the other folded over like an extractor is.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

I've done some more research on the cartridge stop in my reference library. Brophy mentions nothing about the stop in the model 39, but within the chronology of the 39A he says it went from stamped metal (I believe as you described), to solid powdered metal (my '64 parts catalog pictures it as a small bar stock held in place by a pin, not a screw), before being eliminated completely (it is not shown in '66 parts catalog). I have also confirmed a cartridge stop was not used in the model '97. The parts for the model 39 and 39A were shown separately in the parts catalogs of the 1940's, but the prices for these parts were always identical over the years. That may, or may not, mean they were the same!? By 1950, the models 97/1897/39/39A/39M were included on the same parts diagram. Because the diagrams are not to scale, I compared the relationship of the cartridge stop length to the bolt in different catalog years. From this, it appears the "older" stop (1940 era) might be slightly shorter in length than that of the 1950 era, but not 3/16" as you described!? the item pictured appears to change slightly in the conformation of the end opposite of where the screw holds it in place (which is bulbous in nature). Sorry I can't confirm that there were different cartridge stops for the model 39 and early model 39A! The correct part should not require modification of your receiver channel. I would try another source - maybe a part could be sent with return privilege, or simply a closeup photo with measurement so you can make a comparison to what you have? Best of luck; also don't know if your rifle can function without, such as the model '97 and later 39A did? best regards, chrifle