A few questions about Marlin Leverguns

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
Username Goes Here

A few questions about Marlin Leverguns

Post by Username Goes Here »

Hi All,

I have a few quick questions I hope someone or more than one person can help me with:

When did Marlin stop stamping "JM" on thier BBLs?
When did Remington buy Marlin and start stamping "REP" on the BBLs?
Is "REP" in the same general location as the "JM" stamp?
I have a M1895 in 45-70 with no "target" inlay in the heel of the stock, when did that get dropped?

I appriciate any answers, I am looking to pick up a basically NIB M1894 CB in .44RemMag and looking to spend ~$600-650.

Thanks!

UNGH.

Marlin: M38 in .22 Short, long, long rifle, M1895 in .45-70, M1894CL in .218 Bee ***Soon M1894 CB in .44Rem Mag***
Username Goes Here

Re: A few questions about Marlin Leverguns

BTW, the M1894 CB does have the "target" (eye) inlay...

TIA,
UNGH.
Username Goes Here

Marlin Collectors Association
Marlin Gun Collectors Club
How disappointing that no one either doesn't know or knows and doesn't care to answer?

BTW, I did get the 1894CB in .44 Rem Mag! Since then I also picked up a 336 in .35 Rem that exhibits AMAZING wood! I'd post pics, but nobody seems to care...

UNGH.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

UNGH:

I for one cannot help you with the answers to your questions. I have had little or no interest in newer Marlins for quite a few years now, so I do not keep up on the changes that the guns or the company are going through. It may be that others that can answer your questions did not see your post or may have figured that someone else was better qualified to answer your particuar questions. It happens........Sorry I cannot be of help to you, if I could, I would.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Same here. I don't know the answers.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

I also am not a "recent era" Marlin collector, but will try to answer some of your questions. Marlin was purchased by the Cerebrus Group and became integrated into the Remington Arms Company manufacturing facilities in late 2009 / early 2010. The latest Marlin proofed barrels with JM stamp were made during 2009, but Remington was allowed to use up inventory during their production in the Ilion NY plant, after which they switched to the REM proof mark - I believe the same barrel location is used for the stamp. The serialization for 2009 and 2010 production begins with 91.... (I don't believe 90 was ever used!) The absence of the trademark bullseye indicates one of 2 things; a time period in which Remington suspended this addition as a "cost-savings" measure (which was retracted and started again because of customer outcry), or the fact the stock may not be walnut (birch, composite, etc.) Hope you are satisfied with your Marlins and shoot straight! best regards, chrifle

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:06 pm.