N0.32 STANDARD 1875 Questions

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

guninhand
Beginner

N0.32 STANDARD 1875 Questions

Post by guninhand »

Hi folks. I lucked into this Marlin pistol marked N0.32 STANDARD 1875 on the top of the barrel. On the side it says J.M. Marlin....pat July 1876. Grips are dark plastic with M.F.A. Co. at the top. It has most of the nickle plating and is in superb condition. Ser no. is 8XX. AFAIK the calber is .32rf. I would greatly appreciate any additional information, such as year made and number made, if anyone has it. I also hope to start shooting it with Dixie Gunworks reloadable brass. Tks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: N0.32 STANDARD 1875 Questions

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Guninhand;

The No. 32 Standard of 1875 was made from 1875 to 1887. The total number produced would be in around 20,000. The No. 32 Standard was made in two different cylinder lengths. A short cylinder and a long cylinder. The short cylinder for the .32 short rimfire cartridge and the long cylinder for both the short and long .32 rimfire cartridge. The nickel plate finish is the most common finish found, but a half-plate was also available wher the barrel and cylinder were blued and the frame silver plated. The last patent date is July 1, 1873, not 1876. Your barrel marking was probably stamped with a roll die that had a number of the letters and numbers broken making the marking very hard to read.
The hard rubber M.F.A. Co. grips indicate your No. 32 Standard was made sometime after 1881. John Marlin incorporated in 1881 and changed from J. M. Marlin to the Marlin Fire-Arms Company. Some things such as the roll dies used on the handguns remained J.M. Marlin, but other guns were changed to the Marlin Fire-Arms Company. The change on handguns was indicated by changing the grip molds. This would make your No. 32 Standard to have been made sometime between 1881 and 1887.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
guninhand
Beginner

Re: N0.32 STANDARD 1875 Questions

Post by guninhand »

Thanks gunrunner, that's exactly the information I was hoping for.