Paging Marlinman93 about tang sight from Jeff’s Outfitters?

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tanstaafl
Beginner

Paging Marlinman93 about tang sight from Jeff’s Outfitters?

Post by tanstaafl »

I have been looking at the reproduction Marlin/Ballard tang sight from Jeff’s Outfitters to put on my #5 Pacific Ballard. Hard to tell from just photos, but for the price it looked good and have been doing online research on it before buying.

I came across a post you made back in 2005 on MarlinOwners.com where you had bought one and seemed fairly impressed with it. My question is after haveing used it for several years, what is your current opinion? Very doubtful I will ever get into competition, just want a decent set of sights that would work pretty good and look period for the rifle.

I am also looking at either the reproduction of the Ukraine made Beech front folder with windage adjustment from Buffalo Arms.

Or the Winchester Reproduction Globe front sight with windage adjustment from Jeff’s Outfitters.

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Paging Marlinman93 about tang sight from Jeff’s Outfitte

Post by marlinman93 »

For most shooting I have found the Jeff's sight to be extremely accurate. I don't shoot competitively, but have used his sights on several Marlins, Winchester 1885's and a couple tevens 44 1/2 and 44's. Very well made, and work better than some of the much more expensive sights.
I would choose the Win. style globe front over the Beech copy, as the aperture gives a much better sight choice for various types of targets, where the Beech isn't as versatile.
I used the Midrange Jeff's and Win. globe on my #8 Ballard to take a great mule deer buck a few years ago.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
tanstaafl
Beginner

Post by tanstaafl »

Thank you very Marlinman93, was the answer I was hoping to hear.

I will be placing my order for both sights from Jeff's.

tans
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You're welcome!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!