marlin ballard .22 lr

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tjk
Beginner

marlin ballard .22 lr

Post by tjk »

I have a .22 lr marlin ballard with straight wrist. #'s match. Ser. # 17xxx, Not been re-lined. I am in the process of doing that now. Could anyone tell me what model this could be? Thanks for the consideration. tk.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin ballard .22 lr

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

TJK;

If your Ballard is an original .22 caliber gun, then it is a Number 3 Gallery Gun. If it is an original .22 Balllard, then the top of the receiver will be concave over the section where the barrel screws into the receiver.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
tjk
Beginner

Post by tjk »

After I posted this question, I realized that I should have given more info.

#1. 22 1/2 " bbl. muzzle to receiver.
#2. 3/4 " across the flats. (octagon bbl.).
#3. Nickled receiver and lever, and buttplate.
#4. single trigger.
#5. srtaight wrist ( no pistol grip).
#6. Marlin firearms, New Haven, 3-line address.
#7.Octagon bbl with no caliber designation. never relined, matching ser. # with all other parts.
#8. very low, simple , sights. rear with very-very , fine notch. Front sight simple blade with flat top , no bead.
#9. just finished re-lining bbl. stock needs refinish. Probably will case-harden myself. wrap with leather scraps, surround with bone-meal, put in large cast pipe, heat pipe for fifteen min. Keep heated bright red. unscrew cap and dump into pail of cold water, Hope for the best. Any other suggestions appreciated. threw an old lyman peep in the factory "tang holes". shot three subsonics into 3/4" off bags at 45 yds. with the original front sights . Sight that came with gun , don't know if original.
The top of the receiver is perfectly flat , not concave. Forend has a small "Schnabble" front.

Thanks for any consideration.

tk Randall, Mn.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I have two original #3's with flat top receivers. The concave top started later in production, although I'm not sure at what serial number. Mine also have the heavier barrel associated with the flat top receivers. When they went to concave the barrels also got lighter with the round portion just at the chamber.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
tjk
Beginner

Post by tjk »

Thanks for the information on the Marlin-ballard .22 l.r. I am waiting for "the Ballard book to arrive".

"depend on it sir, when a man knows he's going to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind".(Benjamin Franklin).

tjk.