What I have here

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Scott Lauters
Beginner

What I have here

Post by Scott Lauters »

Hello people a new member here. After cleaning gun safe out I found a marlin ballard I bought years ago. I decided to go to work on this project. It's been cobbled and missing some parts. So if someone can get me in the right direction that would be great. It is a cast receiver from what I gather and has one hole next to cleaning rod hole on the stamped side of receiver. It has a 22 inch round barrel(probably rebarreled). It is a .22rf and the lever has been modified. sn# is 36226. thanks Scott
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: What I have here

Post by marlinman93 »

One hole next to the cleaning rod hole??????? Do you mean next to the chamber end of the bore? If so, then it sounds like a #3 Ballard in .22rf and they use a two piece extractor. If the hole is there, then the extractor is missing. Might just be the pin half, and the lower part could be in the action still.
What are your plans, and what do you need to know?
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Scott Lauters
Beginner

Post by Scott Lauters »

Thanks for responding. Sorry I've been out of town lately so I apologize for not responding. I would like to repair and fix-up this gun. I also know there are parts out there to do so. Just wanting to get an exploded veiw of this action so I can order the parts I need. The hole I'm talking about is for the extractor (I think). The extractor is missing so just don't know for sure. Thanks again, Scott
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If you check with Ballard Rifle Co. they will have all the parts, and possibly a schematic of the firearms. Other than that the only other source of a parts breakdoen is Bill Brohy's book on Marlin Firearms, or John Dutcher's book and Ballard Rifles.
Scott Lauters
Beginner

Post by Scott Lauters »

After reading some of the posts here, I figured I should buy John Dutcher's book and did. So will wait until I get it, then do some reading. This should be a somewhat fun project so I may have some different questions at a later date. Thanks for the direction and will keep in touch..... Thanks Scott
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You'll thoroughly enjoy John's book! Problem is you wont get much sleep once you get it, as it's such a great read. with fantyastic pics!