Help! need info for Marlin .22 caliber, 10" barrel

Pistol related discussion

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

grandpashelper
Beginner

Help! need info for Marlin .22 caliber, 10" barrel

Post by grandpashelper »

My grandfather has a Marlin pistol that was given to him by his grandfather. We can not find ANY information on this gun. We have taken it to two antique gun shops- both have said the gun does not exist- even though we have it right there in front of them. I have contacted the Cody Firearms Museum with no luck. They cannot issue us a factory letter because the pistol records did not survuve the factory. I am waiting to hear back form someone in the museum's curatorial department for any leads and insight. Can anyone please help us? We would love to get any information that anyone has- especially when it was made and possibly a ballpark figure of how much it is worth. All the info I have is below, and I have pictures of it, but I can't figure out how to attach them to the post. Thank you for taking the time to read this!

.22 caliber Marlin pistol
10" barrel length
the numbers "2345" etched on the side of the barrel
"The Marlin Forearms Corp. New Haven, Conn. U.S.A." etched on the side of the barrel
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Help! need info for Marlin .22 caliber, 10" barrel

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Grandpashelper;

It sounds like you have one of the Hopkins and Allen Single Shot Target pistols that was made by H&A around 1914 Marlin aquired H&A during WW I and then assembled a number of the single shot pistols from parts on hand after the war. The exact number of these pistols made is not known, but the quanity was quite small. They are quite rare collectors items today.
If you have the wooden grips, look at the brass medallion in the grips and you will see an H & A. Serial number generally run in the 2200 to 3200 range for observed examples that are Marlin marked. This does not mean that Marlin assembled 3200 of these pistols as the frames may have already been serialized when Marlin aquired H&A.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
grandpashelper
Beginner

Post by grandpashelper »

This is GREAT information- thank you very much for your help!

It does, indeed, have that emblem in a circle and a wooden grip. I wish i could figure out how to post the pictures...

Do you have happen to have any ballpark figure of what would be a reasonable price to ask for the gun? someone offered him $350, but I told him to wait until we have more information on it.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Grandpashelper;

DO NOT accept the $350.00. These are far more valueable than that. Without seeing the overall condition of the piece in question. I would not venture an estimation of value. There was a copuple of them that sold at auction a few years ago, so I would need to compare yours to these in order to get an idea as to value.
If you would like to post pictures, use the SEARCH box in the upper right corner and search for "Posting Pictures" to find instructions for attaching pictures to your post.
If you would not mind, would you please email the serial number of your pistol to me through the website so I can add that number to my list of Marlin marked H&A Single Shot Target pistols I am gathering. The more numbers I can find, the better picture as to how many may have been assembled there will be. Thank you......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
mobydoug
Pro-Marksman

Post by mobydoug »

Grandpashelper, I would love to see a picture of this pistol and add it to my collection. I promise you much more than $350. You can e-mail me at chpdoug@q.com if you desire. Thanks, Doug