Ballard forend tip repair?

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

.22-5-40
Beginner

Ballard forend tip repair?

Post by .22-5-40 »

Hello, I have came across a no.3 gallery with a small chip out of forend tip..can or should this be restored? it is quite thin in this area..I was thinking coloring accraglass to fill & match. But not sure. Perhaps it's best to leave as is? What do you collectors think? Thank you.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Ballard forend tip repair?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

.22-5-40;

The forearm is made of American black walnut, so splice in a small piece of that and color to match. Marlin did not have plastic back in the 1890's, so use the right material to make a perfect match. Plastic looks like plastic, and wood looks like wood. It takes a little time to cut and fit correctly then glue into place (and do not use Gorilla Glue) with some wood glue.
Done correctly, you will hardly notice the repair............
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
.22-5-40
Beginner

Post by .22-5-40 »

Hello, and thanks for reply Regnier. Yes, there is a very small piece of wood missing at very edge of forend tip also..my main concern was with the tip itself..Is this horn? or Ebony? this is where the largest part is missing. A professional stock maker I know can do wonders with wood..some repairs he has done are nearly invisable. But again, it's that black colored carved tip that worries me. Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

.22-5-40;

In his book on Ballard Rifles, John Dutcher always describes the carved forearm tip as a horn material. To repair this, you might try to find some black epoxy putty which should work. I have found, that no matter how close things look when done, the repair will show unless the whole thing is one solid color. The easest way to accomplish this is to paint the thing when the repair is done. I have used Krylon's Fusion spray paint with good luck. It will stick to things that regular spray paint will not. I have repaired hard rubber butt plates with great success using this method and the repair cannot be seen once painted. To help with a little ageing afterward, I will buff lightly with oooo steel wool to dull it slightly until it looks like I want it.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You can still get horn pieces very cheaply if you talk to knife makers or those who sell supplies to knife makers at your local gun shows.
When I repair a Ballard forearm I leave them on the gun, as they are so fragile that it's tough to hold the shape and glue them. Of course they need to be off to get the wood closely fitted, and you may need to file or cut the missing area cleanly to accept a good donor piece.
Once you've got a piece dry fitted then take some wax paper and put it over the barrel, then install thw wood over the paper. After that you can glue the donor piece into the forearm and use either clamps or rubber bands to hold it firly in place. I use rubber bands mostly, as they're easier to use on a forearm.
Once it's dried well I mask off the area around the filler and shape it down closely, then sand it smooth. I try not to refinish more area than the repair, as I'm not fond of refinished wood. With some time and care you can match stains and finishes well. I like Wipe-On Poly by Minn Wax. It allows me to build the finish up until it's a perfect match, as it's thin and doesn't build quickly.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
.22-5-40
Beginner

Post by .22-5-40 »

Hello, marlinman93. Thanks for informative reply. I like the idea of using horn.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Horn is what they were, so looks right at home there!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!