Marlin Model 21 Disassembly

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

mrburritoman
Beginner

Marlin Model 21 Disassembly

Post by mrburritoman »

Hey guys,

Just picked up and disassembled my model 21 for the first time and it is quite an adventure. First off i don't think it has ever been cleaned properly in its life but fortunately all of the machining in the action is still crisp and looks undamaged.

The only thing that i find rather puzzling is the fact that there is a part missing. I don't have part 57M on the following picture:

There is nothing there at all; looks like i will have to track down and order one of these with its attached spring. In addition the safety leaf spring is broken and the spring on the recoil block (54m) is just gone.

The other odd/minor problems are that the end of the safety (the one with the attached leaf spring) looks to be broken short. I was thinking of welding some metal to the end, shaping it to the proper size then heat treating it to harden the metal a bit.

Does my plan sound solid or am i missing something? i will post pictures as soon as i can to help with the visuals.

I can't wait to get out to the range with this amazing beauty.
mrburritoman
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 21 Disassembly

Post by mrburritoman »

ok, it appears that finding the part i need is going to be a pain in the rear. Which models can i use as a direct replacement for the part that i am missing?

I remember reading that you can directly replace the original recoil hook with the improved one, is this true?
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

You need to read this post. It seems the Model 21 did not have thouse parts.

http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... f=8&t=8880
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
mrburritoman
Beginner

Post by mrburritoman »

I read that post earlier and don't find where it mentions my model not needing the part in question. If my model was indeed not supposed to have that part then my manual release button is purely decorative because it doesn't touch anything. If I was to add that part that is pictured then the release button would actually push the top of the hook, rotating the block and thus disengaging the recoil lock.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Those parts did not start being used until the Model 24. Since yours preceeds the Model 24 it will not have them.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
mrburritoman
Beginner

Post by mrburritoman »

Is there any way to add them into my model? maybe it could be a good addition to my shotgun to have a manual disconnect?
mrburritoman
Beginner

Post by mrburritoman »

I just spent a little time studying the operation of the recoil block and without part 57M it is not effective at all. Without that part there is nothing to prevent the bolt from unlocking and going out of battery. That part is crucial to the manual release and the operation of the plunger to release the rolling block.

Like i said earlier, it was in there but is missing and i need a replacement, you say that the model 24 had the same part in it? i guess that is where my search resumes.

It is crucial that these shotguns have that part because without it you can accidentally unlock the bolt and fire the shot gun without it being in battery. Do not spread mis-information, it can get people hurt with these old firearms.
mrburritoman
Beginner

Post by mrburritoman »

I'm sorry to revive the dead, however I would like to follow up on this thread.

I have been checking Numrich over the years and on my last check noticed that they had part 57M in stock. I requested they take a picture of it and in two days they did confirming that this was the correct part.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1406930

I ordered one of these and it dropped right into my Model 21 with no fuss, and now my hang-fire lock/release works correctly.

Let me know if anyone wants pictures of it installed. For now, case closed on this 8-year old thread.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mr.burittoman;

You should have been watching eBay. Many of those shotgun parts show up there from time to time.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.