Ballard Rifle Identity... What is it?

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

pmonty74
Beginner

Ballard Rifle Identity... What is it?

Post by pmonty74 »

I recently had a friend that's family had a Ballard rifle. They have asked me to help them find out any info that I can about the gun and where to go to find value... My thing is LC Smith's guys, sorry not Ballard's, but I can admire the quality workmanship in this rifle. I was never steady enough to shoot a rifle well, I needed a scatter gun (At least Marlin is in control of the new "LC's"...) Help me out as best you can, we are in the southeast Missouri area! Possibly a contact in my area? I have attached a link to some pictures below, THANKS AGAIN!

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad115/pmonty74/
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Ballard Rifle Identity... What is it?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Pmonty74;

Your friend has a J. M. Ballard Number 2 Sporting Rifle in .32 Long caliber. It has an unusual schutezen butt plate for a Number 2 Sporting rifle, but is a Ballard style butt plate.
The gun appears to have been refinished at some time, nickeling the action receiver and butt plate. The wood appears to be a very nice figured walnut. The fact that the gun has been refinished hurts the value of this gun considerably. Except for the butt plate, a typical Number 2 Sporting rifle.
The Ballard rifle was made by J. M. Marlin and the Marlin Fire-Arms Company from 1875 to 1891 in a number of styles and calibers. The Number 2 Sporting Rifle is about the most common encountered version and was made in several different calibers and styles.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
pmonty74
Beginner

Post by pmonty74 »

I notice from looking at the forum that many members are concerned between the cast and forged receivers for good reason I understand... Can you tell me about the #2 sporting rifle? Originally was the rifle supposed to have a case colored or blued receiver? Just trying to find out more details, as I had thought that possibly the receiver had just been polished out instead or nickel plated. Also, what material is the buttplate made of (non-magnetic)? Thanks again for your help!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The buttplates were cast steel for the crescent, and brass for the Swiss style, like your's. The receivers were originally casehardened, but some were nickeled. Your's may have been nickeled, but the finish on it presently is not the original, so no way to tell which it was before.
I've owned a couple #2's that were factory, nickeled, so it's possible your's once was.
The configuration can be checked if you want to tear it down. The buttplate (if original) will have the same serial number stamped inside. Likewise, the breechblock will have both halves stamped on the top rear of ea. once it's pulled out to inspect. I've got two #2's with factory set triggers, but it is an unusual option for a hunter's model. The wood will be stamped on the back edge of the forearm, and front edge of the buttstock with the serial number also.
If all the numbers match, then the value as a refinished gun will be a bit higher. If it's refinished, and built up from various Ballard parts, it will really diminish the value.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
pmonty74
Beginner

Post by pmonty74 »

I appreciate all the help men... So far, I have checked forearm, barrel, receiver, and buttplate and all serial numbers match! I haven't tried removing the stock or taking apart the receiver to check the other parts, not that confident yet. Could the receiver have been nickel originally and just polished out as part of restoration? Are there records to tell year of manufacture for the serial number 12611? Approximate value if it is all matching numbers, just restored? Thanks again gentlemen...
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I can tell from the pictures it's been renickeled, as the color is wrong for that gun. Old guns have a more yellowish color to the nickel, not the chrome look. If the buttstock and breechblock parts match, and the seller will allow a buyer to confirm this by inspection, then (in my opinion) the value would be up around $1,000-$1,200. Had it not been refinished that could have nearly doubled, and if they don't match I'd subtract 50% from that figure.
Of course this is just one guy's opinion, and a close exam might come up with a diferent value.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!