marlin no 18

This is an area for guests to post questions

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot, Marlin

Forum rules
I have unlocked this forum but made it read only for non members -- Webmaster --
mikesmules

marlin no 18

Post by mikesmules »

My son just received this gun as a gift and I wanted any info on this .22, there is a part broke in the action and I need to find parts to fix it. thanks mike
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Re: marlin no 18

Post by chrifle »

The Model 18 was Marlin's first pump action .22 rifle, manufactured from 1906-8. Depending on the carrier, it was .22 short or .22 long rifle. It could be ordered with either an octagon or round barrel - both 20" (blued). Serial numbers from 1581 to 18246 are known. Parts are VERY hard to find, you can search on the internet gun auction sites like gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, or even ebay. Gunpartscorp.com has a website and schematic to help you determine what parts are missing; if they do not have the part in stock, you have to keep checking back - I have waited over 1 year for some original parts, but they eventually came up with what I needed. Be patient and persistent. There are other parts shops also (Bob's in AR?) but others will have to provide contact info. Good luck!
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

chrifle is 100% correct. Many poeple just don't realize how rare these little rifles are. And like he said, parts are extremely hard to come by. There are a few parts that will interchange with other Marlin pumps. Good luck...

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
jwmtx
Pro-Marksman

Post by jwmtx »

jwmtx
Pro-Marksman

Post by jwmtx »

mikesmules

Post by mikesmules »

Thanks for the information, it was very helpful. mike
darrellkbulldog
Beginner

Post by darrellkbulldog »

I have also acquired a great looking #18. After I got it I had to try it, and discovered the fireing pin was defected. Relentless searching produced nothing. So, there was nothing else to do, but make my own. After 3 days of sawing, fileing, polishing, and meticulous sizing, I made one......and it works. Was one of the happiest days of my life. I love the little bugger.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

darell,
make sure you only shoot LOW/STANDARD VELOCITY .22 in your model 18, or you will break the bolt! glad you have it "up and shooting", chrifle
darrellkbulldog
Beginner

chrifle wrote:darell,
make sure you only shoot LOW/STANDARD VELOCITY .22 in your model 18, or you will break the bolt! glad you have it "up and shooting", chrifle
Thanks for the information, but now that I know it will shoot, it will be put up and retired. I have several of the old marlins, and git them out of retirement and wipe them down, admire them then put them back. 1892, 1897, 39's, 336,1936 and many more. Love them all.
darrellkbulldog
Beginner

chrifle wrote:darell,
I also lucked out on a "carrier" to convert it to 22 long rifle. Was kinda expensive ($50.00) but now I have a spare carrier for 22 short, will keep the spare parts with the gun for future owners, after i'm gone.