History/Origins

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

JJWI
Beginner

History/Origins

Post by JJWI »

I recently came into possession of a Ballard #8 that has been in storage since approx. 1934. I belive it was from a previous owner who lived around Milwaukee WI. I'm trying to research the rifle barrel that is a replacement and has a makers mark of M S Hendricks on it. Can anyone give me some direction on where to go to find info on this gun as it is in good condition with all serial numbers and marking still visible, stock and butt in fairly good shape, sites, lever and everything else I can find original also. I searched on several web sites and have had no luck with any mention of this barrel maker. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: History/Origins

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

JJWI;

According to Frank Sellers book, American Gunsmiths there were 2 M.S. Hendricks. One died in 1888 and lived in Arkansas City, Arkansas. Probably not him as the other lived until 1930 in Aurora, Illinois and is listed as altering breech loading rifles. He was listed in Aurora from 1868 to 1930. You might try to contact the historical society there to see what they have on him.
Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If Aurora doesn't have a historical society, then try the state of Illinois historical society.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
JJWI
Beginner

Post by JJWI »

Thanks for the information! The gunsmith in IL definitely sounds like it would make sense. I'll post my findings once I research it a little deeper.

Thanks again,

JJ
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

JJ;

I did a quick GOOGLE search for Aurora Illinois Historical Society, and one is listed. I believe the entire name of your gunsmith was Melton S. Hendricks, which might help with your information search.
Good luck.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
JJWI
Beginner

Post by JJWI »

Regnier,

Thanks for the follow up. It turns out a friend of mines brother is a member of the Aurora Sportsmen Club which has been around for more than a 100 years. He thinks he'll be able to find out a lot more about this maker just by talking to some of the old time members of the club. I think we'll definitely be able to trace the history of this gun with the help you guys have given me!

Thanks again,

JJ
Ballard6
Beginner

Post by Ballard6 »

Kelvers book --100 Years of Shooters & Gunmakers of Single Shot Rifles has some info on M. S. Hendricks. Bob