golden 39a marlin with squirrel on gun butt

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

shoult94
Beginner

golden 39a marlin with squirrel on gun butt

Post by shoult94 »

i recently inheirted a 1961 golden 39a 22 caliber lever action rifle it has a gold colored trigger and a squirrel carved on the butt of it, i cant find any information on it does any one know anything about it its in excellent condition.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: golden 39a marlin with squirrel on gun butt

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Shoult94;

You actually have a Marlin Model 39-A DL. These were made from 1960 through 1963. There were 3,306 of them made. The number by years is as follows:
1960 there were just 4 made
1961, there were 1,812 plus 125 shipped with a 4 power scope attached.
1962, there were 739 with another 88 shipped with attached scope
1963, there were 351 with another 187 made with the scope.
These are desirable collectors items, so keep in in good shape.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
shoult94
Beginner

Post by shoult94 »

what is the estimated value of this its in good shape my dad bought it new in 1961 an used it for a few years squirrel hunting he always took good care of his guns he had a small collection the last time this was used was about 15 years ago when my husband an him went hunting together, i am wanting to get rid of it we are not into guns but i dont know how, and i dont want to get ripped off my dad always said this was a very special gun.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Estimates without viewing are very difficult. If you can take some digital photos that would really help. If you don't know how to post them you can send them to me and I will post them for you. Include a link to this post so I know where to put it. Condition of wood, metal, original sights all enter into value which is why pictures help. You can also go to the online gun auctions and look up closed auctions where the rifles have sold to compare yours to the pictures of ones that have sold. (The ones still for sale may be rated to high by their owner). One such auction is gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com is another.
GBOT, GBUSA
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Here are some pictures.
GBOT, GBUSA
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Some additional pictures of her 39A
GBOT, GBUSA
Michele720
Beginner

Post by Michele720 »

I also have one, except this one is nickle plated. My father ordered this special edition rifle back in the early 1960's and it took him months upon months to get it. I have an old 1960's photo of me standing side by side with the rifle and it is taller than I am. I remember he told me this was a special rifle because of the stock and metal and there were very few made. He passed away in 1993 and this now belongs to me. (I told him I wanted it if anything happened to him.) I'm wondering what the value is and should I have it insured?

Here is a photo of it (I'm a photographer):

Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie by M-I-C-H-E-L-E, on Flickr
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Michele720;

Your father's, now your Marlin 39 Mountie was made in 1960. It is a special version that is called the 90th Anniversary and had a very limited production of only 500 guns. There was a match to your gun, called the Model 39-A which is a pistol grip version with a 24 inch barrel or rifle version. There was 500 of the rifle version made as well for a total of 1,000 guns for the 90th Anniversary of the founding of the Marlin Firearms Company. The gun is chrome plated, not nickel. Take care of the chrome as it can have a tendency to flake off if.
These guns are very collectable! There have been several come up at auction recently. The guns auctioned were new, in the original box with all paper work. These guns were selling for about $1,800.00. If you do not have the box, it will be worth a little less, and if you fired it, again, it will lose a little of the value. Certainly, not less than $1,200.00 to $1,500.00. Since this is your father's gun, and now yours, I am sure you have no intention of selling it, so for insurance purposes, go with the figures here. I see from your photo, the original rear sight has been removed and a receiver mounted receiver sight has been installed. This will affect the value as well. I hope you still have the original barrel mounted rear sight. There are LOTS of collectors that would like to have a 90th Anniversary in their collection, but they do not come out to often.
You can take photos of my guns anytime. That is a great photograph. Very well done.
I hope this helps.

Hendersonarmy
Beginner

Post by Hendersonarmy »

I believe I also have the firearm we are talking about with a squirrel engraved in the butt stock. But unsure since I think it is missing some the “DL”

It says “ Marlin Golden 39-A —“

Since it has the Squirrel engraved in the stock shouldn’t it read Marlin Golden 39-A-DL ?

I believe it is a 1963 (W 4587)

Can someone please help me figure out what I have and the value if possible.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Hendersonarmy;

Unless the barrel has been changed, or the butt stock has been changed, then you do have a Model 39 A-DL. 1963 was the last year that Marlin made the 39 A-DL with the carved stock, so chances are that the A-DL barrel marking was also no longer used, and a regular 39-A barrel was available and was used.
You might want to remove the butt stock to see if the stock number matches the receiver number, just in case an A-DL butt stock was installed later on your receiver. Does your rifle have sling swivels? That was another feature of the A-DL guns. Is the forearm checkered like the butt stock?

sneekpete
Pro-Marksman

Post by sneekpete »

One thing to be aware of... Not all Marlin 39A with a carved squirrel buttstock are genuine 39A-DL's.
Marlin offered to install the carved squirrel buttstock on any Marlin 39A, regardless of year. All you had to do is return the rifle for fitting of the stock by Marlin.
To be sure that you have the "real McCoy.... check the serial number of the rifle to make sure it is T, U, V or W, as indicated by Rick Reignier above. Hope this helps.