Why is M1895’s Trigger Guard Plate a factory-only install?

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Naphtali
Beginner

Why is M1895’s Trigger Guard Plate a factory-only install?

Post by Naphtali »

I have put Wanted To Trade and Wanted to Buy advertisements for parts to convert my stainless steel M1895 Guide Gun from its straight grip to pistol grip. My first thought was to buy the parts from Marlin. I discovered that the Trigger Guard Plate is a factory-only installation. Why? Assuming I can acquire the parts needed in trade or private purchase, what difficulties should I anticipate when converting?

I run Macintosh OS 9.2.2. I am having great difficulty using this web site. I obtain almost zero contrast among colors and two of my three browsers do not function here at all. So if I do not respond, please E-mail me at tlancek AT blackfoot.net.
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Re: Why is M1895’s Trigger Guard Plate a factory-only install?

Post by Jim D »

I don't have a newer 1895, but the old ones have the serial number stamped on the trigger plate. I suspect that is the main reason.

-jim
Naphtali
Beginner

Post by Naphtali »

Jim D wrote:I don't have a newer 1895, but the old ones have the serial number stamped on the trigger plate. I suspect that is the main reason.

-jim
Jim:

I just looked. Tang has the serial number. Unless there is a number on an interior surface of trigger plate, trigger plate on [my] one-year-old rifle is not numbered.
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Well, I don't know then. I wouldn't think there would be much work, or take much skill to fitting a new one.

-jim
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Lower tang/triggerplates are fitted to the receivers when final polishing is don, so if a new one is sold outright it wont work without some final fitting. That's an easy job, but I'd guess Marlin doesn't want to see guns out there improperly fitted with lower tangs, so they want to fit them.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Naphtali
Beginner

Post by Naphtali »

marlinman93 wrote:Lower tang/triggerplates are fitted to the receivers when final polishing is don, so if a new one is sold outright it wont work without some final fitting. That's an easy job, but I'd guess Marlin doesn't want to see guns out there improperly fitted with lower tangs, so they want to fit them.
AHA!

I just assumed that any of the 336 basis actions in stainless steel with pistol grip would contain parts that would function acceptably as substitutes for my M1895 GS parts -- Trigger Guard Plates and Levers. I received a reply from a Marlin Owner's Forum Moderator as follows:
Can you -- anyone?? -- confirm that 336SS Trigger Guard Plate and lever are the same part numbers for the M1895 XLR?

The trigger plates will swap but the levers are different. Your lever might work in a 336 but a 336 lever wont work in a 45/70. The 45/70 levers are thinned where the lever interacts with the lifter so the fat 45/70 rim can go by it.
From this information, my M1895 GS parts fit 336SS rifles. But 336SS levers will not function correctly in my M1895 GS?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I guess they think we can't thin a lever ourselves?
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!