1895 down under query

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

lazydave
Beginner

1895 down under query

Post by lazydave »

G'Day from down under folks.

I have just picked up a 2nd/3rd/4th? hand Marlin 1895 45-70 government ser #26094850 which makes it a 1974 produced gun. It has a 4 shot mag and it looks to be the same config as the current 1895 model, apart from not having pistol grip stock and checkering and no crossbolt safety.

Is anyone able to tell me what the rifling in this gun is (just curious) and also if they know a good load for SASS long range rifle comp.

Also if anyone knows what its actual model designation is to make it easier to fit an after market tang sight to it.

Regards
Lazy Dave
p.s. this is a great forum
Pete44ru
Marksman

Post by Pete44ru »

That sounds like the one I bought, when Marlin first re-introduced them back in the early 70's.

IIRC, since it was the first time Marlin re-introduced the .45-70 since the original Model 1895 was discontinued long, long ago - there was no special model number other than "Model 1895", since no changes were made until a few years later.

I know mine had Ballard rifling, but Marlin changed them to Micro-groove for quite a few years - I just disremember exactly when.
You can check your gun, as Micro-groove barrels are marked as such in the barrel address and have 12 lands/grooves, as opposed to the Ballard's half as many, but deeper, grooves.
Recently - a few years ago - Marlin changed all the .45-70's back to Ballard rifling , due to popular demand.

I don't believe there was any changes to the receiver shapes or tangs, so any tang sight made for Marlin should fit.
BTW - The Lyman tanger needs to be shimmed for windage adjustment, whereas the Marbles' is fully adjustable for both W & E.

I'm sure someone, with more specific knowedge than I, will be along with more info.
lazydave
Beginner

more info

Post by lazydave »

Just compared my 45-70 with a friends, looks like mine is configured as a guide gun barrel is 18" microgroove. Friends gun is a later model (has crossbolt safety) and is stamped microgroove, mine is not stamped, rifling in both is identical and both have same barrel length.

I'll put some pictures up of stampings, just gotta get it back from the shop, load gate screw broke after 8th shot on the range, D*** its a tiny thing isn't it.