Which Big Bore?

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Pale Rider
Beginner

Which Big Bore?

Post by Pale Rider »

Of the 3 calibers, 444 Marlin, 45-70 or 450 Marlin, which would you choose and why?

Pale Rider
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

There are arguements that have been made for all three. I have all three and they are great cartridges. That said unless they are early ones they are not really collectables. You might try marlinowners.com for more information. You will soon see this question has created animosity among members there. I don't think you will generate much response here.
GBOT, GBUSA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

I agree with Sure-shot... try http://www.marlinowners.com for in-depth discussions of each. I have all 3 & really do not see a big difference. If you have a recently deceased elk you are ready to load in the truck, it will be no less dead for the caliber used.

Say! There's your solution! Buy one of each and shoot them as much as your circumstances allow. We will be eagerly awaiting your range report! :wink: SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Pale Rider
Beginner

Post by Pale Rider »

I signed up at marlinowners.com the same day I joined here. Just looking for another perspective.

I have several Marlins; 357 mag, 44 mag, 30-30 and one stainless guide gun in 45-70. Of the three big bores the 45-70 seems to be the ideal round because it's right there in between the 444 and 450.

PR
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

If it sounds good, then that's about all the excuse you need to get one. There just isn't enough difference to worry about. I like the 444, but that's because I found a very accurate heavy load using 320 grain hard-cast, gas checked bullets. Over 2200 fps.

It's a trifle tough on the shoulder, though! :wink:

For a good discussion of heavy loads for the big Marlins, see also http://www.beartoothbullets.com ...and be sure you don't have any loose fillings before you try any of them! Some accurate mastadon whackers for sure! SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Doc Holiday
Beginner

Post by Doc Holiday »

Hello Folks
I would opt for the 45-70, I can buy ammo to match or exceed any of the other bullets.
Good Bless
Doc Holiday
djh
Beginner

Post by djh »

Pale Rider:

I personally would go with the 45-70, mainly as a re-loader you have more flexibility in bullet sizes, powders and loads,

The 444 usually is loaded with bullets in the range of 200-350 grains.
The 450 usually is loaded with bullets in the range of 250-405 grains.
The 45-70 can be loaded with bullets in the range of 250-550 grains.

Just depends on what you want the caliber to do.

All 3 are great calibers and you most likley won't go wrong with either one you pick.

djh