1895CB

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gater
Beginner

1895CB

Post by Gater »

I have been told I can use Buffalo Boar 45-70 mag in the Guide Gun but I don't know if I can use the 1895CB model.
What do you think.
I Don't have a phone number to contact Marlin Directly.
Jayhawker
Beginner

Post by Jayhawker »

Yes, you can. Both are built on the same action but the guide gun has a better (but not great) recoil pad which will make a difference. You might consider a pad or heavy jacket with that CB model.
marlin1881
Beginner

Post by marlin1881 »

Gater,

I had the same question, when I started looking around at a newer model of Marlin to use for "heavy" loads in the 45/70. I have an 1881 (S/N 1xxx) that I shoot, but it's only with government loads. Can't shoot the "heavy" stuff out of that old gun!

I looked at a 45Colt 1895 CB today, and it has the dust cover on the ejection port, which obviously takes some metal away from the back of the receiver. BUT, if you look at a 45/70 1895 CB, it's built on the exact same receiver as the rest of the 1895 models, so it is built for modern loads. The 45/70 has the exposed ejection port, so it has the additional metal still intact at the rear of the receiver.

Now, the disclaimer... This sucker will kick with heavy loads, as it really doesn't weigh that much, compared to my old 1881. But, the end result is just awesome on deer.

Marlin
ggeilman
Beginner

Post by ggeilman »

I would definitely consider a recoil pad. Took out my CB for the first time last week and my shoulder and arm were bruised for a week after 8 shots! Had to quit after that.
Jim Susemihl
Beginner

Post by Jim Susemihl »

I have to ask what bullet weight and muzzle velocity you are looking for, what range you are shooting, and what kind of game are you going for. The old black powder 45/70 government loads all but decimated the buffalo population, along with a few other loads used in single shot rifles that were a bit stouter. The old 1881 was used on anything that walked the America countryside with very good results. I and a couple of freinds have found that the 300 grain hollow point moving at about 1600 FPS is a great white tail and hog load and it does not knock your lungs loose when you pull the trigger. It does stop the critters very effectively.

The 45 Colt loading is in the 1894 not the 1895 and the 1894 is definately not as strong an action as he 1895.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

marlin1881 wrote:Gater,

I looked at a 45Colt 1895 CB today, and it has the dust cover on the ejection port, which obviously takes some metal away from the back of the receiver.
That would be a model 1894, not 1895 in .45 Colt, and that is not a dust cover, but rather it is the old style flat bolt used on 1894's.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
tomray
Beginner

Post by tomray »

marlinman93 wrote:
marlin1881 wrote:Gater,

I looked at a 45Colt 1895 CB today, and it has the dust cover on the ejection port, which obviously takes some metal away from the back of the receiver.
That would be a model 1894, not 1895 in .45 Colt, and that is not a dust cover, but rather it is the old style flat bolt used on 1894's.
MM93, Gee, Thanks for clearing that up for me......dustcover?......had me wondering.

Tomray
NRA LIFE
Treat others as you want to be treated