Store bought 32 colt ammo?

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Terry B
Beginner

Store bought 32 colt ammo?

Post by Terry B »

Does anybody think Remington or Winchester will ever remanufactor 32 Cal Long Colt ammo again :?: It sure would be nice :o
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm afraid there's not much hope Terry! Just a few of us that shoot guns chambered for that caliber, and most have gone to relaoding eventually if they want to shoot much!
The ammo is still out there, though it's very hard to find. I pick up a couple boxes a year at local gun shows. Once in awhile I stumble across a larger find, but it's been awhile.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
oodmoff
Marksman

Post by oodmoff »

Place it up there right next to all the nice condition 25 rimfire guns i run into....D*** obsolete cartridges! :D
Thanks
Darin
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yep! And the .25 rimfire is worse! At least you have the option to reload the .32 Long! :D
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Picked up three boxes of factory Rem. .32 Long Colt ammo this weekend at the gun show! $12 a box! More for the hoarding!
Terry B
Beginner

32 COLT LONG AMMO

Post by Terry B »

Good find Marlinman93, I should be attending more gun shows and looking around :shock:
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yep, it's probably the only way to find this ammo.
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

I am not going to get anyones hopes up, but I may have a source for new made brass for 32 Long colt, but won't know for a few weeks. I'll let you know when I know :D I bought a couple boxes of 32 long colt this last weekend too at a gunshow, but it was more like $17 a box, so I guess I didn't get as good a deal as Marlinman :cry:
Terry B
Beginner

.32 colt long ammo reloading?

Post by Terry B »

Are the bullets available if one has the brass? And what type of reloading equipment does one need that is inexspense and will do the job? Lee loading is in WI. Where I'm at. Thanks Terry :wink:
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

A source for cast, heeled bullets for the .32 Long Colt:
http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com. The bullet is the 299152, cast to weigh 90 grs. The heel base is .299 inch and the bullet is .312 inch. Cost is $7 per 100, $30 per 500 or $50 per 1,000. GAD Custom Cartridges is out of Medford, Wisconsin. As far as a bullet mould to make your own bullets, M&P cast bullets is offering them, the Lyman 299153 heel bullet. Don't have their number, but google them and hopefully it will show up. As far as dies, C+H makes a wonderful set, BUT if you are going to reload the heel base bullets you should get the set they call "320 Long" which is the European revolver designation for 32 long colt with a heel type bullet. That set will have the right dimensions ect. as opposed to most 32 long colt dies that are intended to load ammo with hollow base bullets. No one to my knowledge is making a hollow base mould right now, but to be honest with you, hollow base bullets in this caliber are not that great in my opinion anyway. Not enough pressure to consistently open up that base for accuracy. With the hollow base factory stuff, I usually will get 2 or 3 rounds touching at 50 feet, and then one will go in sideways a couple inches away, and that is out of excellent to perfect bores. My heel bullets never demonstrate such flyers and shoot consistently great with 1.8gr of Bullseye. You'll need to trim your cases for those heel bullets, as untrimmed long colt brass will be too long. C+H makes a proper trimmer pilot, which is essential for a good trimming job. I lube my bullets with liquid alox and have had no leading so far. Bullseye has been the most consistent powder I have found when chronographing loads. No crimp with heel bullets means you have to use a fast powder that doesn't need a crimp to burn right, like bullseye. Hope this info is of some help :-)
Terry B
Beginner

.32colt ammo reloading?

Post by Terry B »

Thanks Ultona :!: for the information. Medford is about center state from where I'm at. Maybe even stop there on he way up north deer hunting :idea: Thanks again Terry :D
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

Tested Trailboss powder in my 32LC this weekend. 1.5gr goes about 700 fps, but when chronographed it wasn't quite as consistent as bullseye, although it was close. I wonder if going up on the charge would help? 1.5 seemed really mild, and I would like to get the same velocity as bullseye gets me (850 fps). I will say that just a little more powder will about fill the case completely under my heel bullet. I tested 5 factory Remingtons from 1986 and they went about 975. Downright hot compared to my loads, but I kinda baby my 32's, I think factory winchester shorts go about 850 or so fps, and that is fast enough for me, though the long cases seem to shoot a little tighter groups in most of my guns compared to the 32 short case. Guess it is that longer jump the bullet has to make from the short case to the start of the rifling in the barrel.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I really like Bullseye or Unique in the .32 Long. Both give good results in my 1891, 1892, and Ballards in .32.
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

Trail Boss seems to work better once you get about half way into the published load data............ 8) :wink:
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
donhall
Beginner

Re: Store bought 32 colt ammo?

Post by donhall »

hi i am new to this forum and am very interested in your comments. It would seem that you can puchase .32 ammo at what i deem a very good price even if you have to look for it. Over here in england if you find a box of .32 colt at a show you would no doubt be paying about £50 for it. I did manage to buy 100 brass a few years ago which i shoot thru my selectable .32 rim or centrefire 1870 wesson rifle but i have not been able to get any rimfire ammo for years.
last week i ordered some turned brass reloadable rimfire cartridges from a company in france. they have arrived so i will have a play with them this weekend, but at £2 each i wont be buying many.
DON HALL