1881 45/70

What the name implies

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

scholtenj
Beginner

1881 45/70

Post by scholtenj »

I have an 1881 45/70 made in 1883. It's been in the family since it was new. The last time I know it was fired was way back when I was in 7th grade ( a long, long time ago). It's been living packed up in a closet ever since. I finally took it to a gunsmith to get checked out & get a once-over. The gunsmith said it's in great shape overall. He has fired it a few times.

I'd like to use it for hog-hunting this fall. Does anyone have recommendations for factory, store-bought ammo? Is there something out there that approximates the 'oomph' of the original black powder ammo it was designed for? Even though the gunsmith says it's in great shape, I'm a little leery of using modern ammo in an antique firearm. This thing is such a hoss that I'm sure it can still do its job with lower-powered ammo. I worry that using modern 45/70 loads could put too much stress on it. I'd like to make it last so it stays in the family for a long time to come.

Thanks!!!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Re: 1881 45/70

Post by Hunt4em »

You should be able to search for cowboy ammo and find what you need. Stay away from the modern jacketed bullets as they will eat the rifling right out of the barrel. Most of the companys that make the cowboy rounds have informative websites that will give you the expected velosities. To get the most out of your rifle, I would suggest you slug the barrel to determine the correct size bullet and then either buy or cast that size to reload yourself so you KNOW what your feeding the gun.
John
scholtenj
Beginner

Re: 1881 45/70

Post by scholtenj »

thanks John!!!