Marlin 38-40 safety model and serial number question

What the name implies

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

adirondack_will
Beginner

Marlin 38-40 safety model and serial number question

Post by adirondack_will »

I had a serial/model number question about my Marlin Safety 38-40: its serial number is 34139. It has a 24" octagonal barrel with 3 patents on it, the last being August 1, 1893. The receiver is an 1889, I think, since it has no model name on the tang and has a 1-piece firing pin. It is a side eject with a pistol grip, nice checkering and fantastic figure in the walnut. The smith I had inspect it said that he was pretty sure it was a custom gun made to order in 1893-94 with an 89 receiver and a 1893 or 94 manufacture barrel. According to him, the barrel is the original barrel that came with the gun-- it sure looks like it based on its wear being very consistent with the rest of the metal. He also said it was one of the nicer examples he had ever seen. It has been in our family for its entire lifetime-- I am the fourth in line to be caring for it. I haven't fired it for over thirty years but am going to take it out this afternoon.

Can you tell if my analysis is at least consistent? Do you know what the serial number says about the year of manufacture of the receiver?

Thanks,

Adirondack Will
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 38-40 safety model and serial number question

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Adirondack Will;

Your deluxe, pistol grip Model 1889 was originally shipped in April of 1890, so the Model 1894 barrel that is currently in the gun is not the original barrel. There is no way the 1893 patent date could appear on a gun shipped in 1890.
But, there is a second ship date on this serial number of early 1898, so this gun was returned to the factory, and that is probably when the current barrel was installed.
The good news is, it was a 24 inch octagon barrel in .38-40 the first time it left the factory, just like it is now.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

Will,
I'd sure like to see a picture of that beauty.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
adirondack_will
Beginner

Post by adirondack_will »

Gun Runner:

Thank You! How on earth did you figure that out? It makes sense. I don't think the gunsmith who looked at it could tell if the barrel has been on it for 119 years or just 111 years.

Wishbone, I'll try to post a picture of it when I figure out how to do it.

I took it out and used it yesterday. At 25 yards standing with not rest, my old (65 years old) eyes kept it in an 8 inch circle with iron sights. I'll do better next time. I hope to shoot it on a rest and see how it does.

Adirondack Will
Henryflook
Beginner

Marlin 38 40 safety model and serial number question

Post by Henryflook »

Just purchased a Marlin 1894CL JM for cowboy pistol cartridge silhouette and will be mounting a Williams FP-336 rear sight but do not know what the correct height of the Lyman front sight should be.Anyone have this combo and would like to share the front sight height?

Thank you.
Vehicle History Report http://vinnumbercheck.net/vehicle-check.html